Hubby and I are pretty good travel companions. Neither of us love museums or overly adventurous excursions. We both like a mix of rest and relaxation while still keeping active. Food and drink is important to us and we love warmer weather – beaches or pools are a must!
But, we do have somewhat different ideas of how vacation time is spent, too.
For instance, my husband loves to sleep…a lot. He likes to go to bed early (at times) and always likes to sleep as late as possible, especially on vacation. Me? I’m a morning person. When I’m up, I’m up. I’m not one to enjoy just laying around in bed.
But, I’m lazy in my own ways. I could easily lay poolside or beach-side for HOURS and HOURS with my Kindle and some good music. I’m perfectly happy just spending time in my own little world, lost in a book. But hubby…he’s wanting to chat after a while or has to meander off to swim or hot tub. I’m forever putting my ear buds in and out as he time and time again says, “Oh, sorry…I didn’t realize your ear buds were in.”
We’re all for late dinners out, especially on vacation, but my husband is one who can exercise on an empty stomach. And then start the day’s activities on an empty stomach. And hours and hours go by before he’s finally ready to eat. I, however, want and NEED breakfast. Of some sort. Soonish after getting up for the day. My options on our recent trip to Scottsdale were limited and so there was once I found myself with a donut from the gas station right up the street and once with an apple with some crackers – it was all that was in our hotel room.
When we got back to Michigan and back in our daily routine, I was anxious for breakfast each day. Soon-ish after getting up each morning. Something healthy and delicious. Something I could reheat throughout the week and even take to work in the morning in a pinch. Enter: Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal. Heat this up and serve with a splash of milk – you’ll be in breakfast heaven!
- 2¼ cups old fashioned oats
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cups shredded carrots, lightly packed
- 2½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mist a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together shredded carrot, almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until just combined. Mix in the raisins and walnuts.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish and smooth into the corners, gently pressing the oats into an even, packed layer.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.