Our 8th anniversary was a total bust. The highlight: I made a pear, cherry, and strawberry crumble in lieu of dinner. We decided we could make it on leftovers one more night.
We exchanged cards, tag-teamed the little monsters, and then retreated to opposite sides of the family room for an episode of Prison Break while I coughed the evening away. We slipped between the sheets around 9:32pm – I took note of the time because I was half ashamed and half thrilled. Another day in the books.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
It’s a REALLY long and traumatic (for me) story, but my mother’s helper is no more. I’m seeking a new someone to help me survive one day to the next. But this recipe reminds me how fabulous it was to have help making dinner for the first time in my adult life.
One day, back in March, I came home to these Broccoli, Cheddar, Brown Rice Cakes ready to pop into the oven. I thought I’d died and gone to heaven right then and there. Cooking Light had paired together with my mother’s helper to make magic and I was enjoying every second. And every bite.
I must confess that these aren’t Mr. Prevention’s most favorite thing in the world, BUT I SERIOUSLY DON’T KNOW WHY. It’s like cheesy broccoli-rice casserole in finger food form. I’m completely unclear as to what the issue is. Shea likes them as well as Shea will like anything with broccoli and Piper went to town on it as much as Piper does any food that’s not pureed. (This little one of mine with her EIGHT TEETH would prefer to slurp her food vs chew – I don’t understand.)
All of that just to say…no problem, family! More for me!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 (8.8 oz) pkg precooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
- ¼ cup panko
- 1 Tbsp grainy mustard
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 oz reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided (about ¾ cup)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Once melted, add onion and saute 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add vegetable stock and broccoli; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Microwave rice according to package directions and transfer to large bowl.
- To the bowl, add the broccoli mixture, panko, mustard, pepper, salt, egg beaten eggs and ½ cup cheese; mix until well-combined.
- Divide and shape broccoli mixture using hands into 8 (2½-inch) patties and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with remaining ¼ cup cheese, and bake for 4 more minutes or until cheese melts. Cool for a few minute before serving.