In case you missed my last post – I am now accepting entries into my 9th Annual Chili Contest (visit the link for more details!)!! I’m a self-proclaimed chili connoisseur and on days like today where the air feels like bath water, it makes me pretty giddy over the thought of fall. And football. And hoodie weather.
But I’ll simmer down with those thoughts because every year, summer seems to go faster and faster. That said, I hear that when kids are off school for the summer…summer can seem rather long. Oh, seasons of life! They’re ever changing with their challenges, high-points, and woes.
Mark and I were just saying at the beach yesterday that our girls are at a pretty good age to self-entertain and play with one another…peacefully. That doesn’t quite yet translate into water-related activities as they can’t yet swim and always want to be in the water, but we’re getting there. Just this morning, the TV never went on as it does most mornings (don’t judge, breakfast doesn’t make itself!) and they sat reading books together for the better part of 2 hours.
We’re still slaves to the nap time routine, at least for Piper. And Mark…that boy loves his naps. We’re at least a year away from more freedom on the whole routine thing, but we’re seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Plus, who are we kidding? We ALL operate best on a routine. That’s why when the calendar flips to August, my brain goes to CHILI. 9 years and counting!
Arguably the BEST one-pot meal, chili has it all – the fiber, the vegetables, the protein…the FLAVOR. If you can pull the reins on all the cheese, crackers, sour cream, and bacon toppings, most chili is quite healthy and balanced. The variations that can be made to chili are endless so you can keep it fresh and exciting.
Similarly, jambalaya is an all-in-one kind of meal that we always enjoy. Sneaking in those vegetables is easy with big flavor, savory kielbasa (a.k.a. smoked sausage), and simple additions like salsa. You can add additional proteins, if you choose (chicken and/or shrimp are always great in jambalaya!), but this quick and simply meal is ready in a flash and is sure to please the mouths you feed!
- 1 pkg (8.8 oz) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pkg (14 oz) smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup salsa
- Microwave rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion, celery and green pepper; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in kielbasa, garlic powder, pepper and, cayenne; cook 4-5 minutes or until kielbasa is browned.
- Add tomatoes and salsa; heat through. Stir in rice and serve hot.
Weekly Menu: August 5th – 9th
- Sunday: Cajun Shrimp Alfredo
- Monday: Blue Apron meal
- Tuesday: Pesto Zucchini and Corn Quinoa Salad
- Wednesday: breakfast for dinner – scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, toast, fruit
- Thursday: Blue Apron meal