My bestie and her hubby made an impromptu trip to Michigan for a quick visit. We did the standard weekend brewery visit along with chili contest chili and beers at home while watching college games until way too late on the big screen in the basement.
I would say it was the perfect fall-ish weekend except I was up at 3am sweating profusely and ran around the house closing all the windows and turned on the air-conditioning. SO HOT.
When my bestie is in town it’s always a great time to do foodie things and so I whipped together my new favorite breakfast for brunch – thyme roasted red-skin potatoes, white cheddar cheese, over easy eggs, avocado, and microgreens…with plentiful amounts of iced coffee. Obviously.
We ate on the front porch as the girls ran around playing with chalk and bubbles and various other toys and games. It was a leisurely morning and in no time, it was going on noon and our guests were leaving to head back to Chicago. A quick but fun visit!
Refusing to grocery shop for a second time this weekend, I planned my weekly menu around what my freezer has to offer. The weather looks wonderful this week and scaling back on cooking will hopefully free up some evening time to get outside and soak it all up. Plus, my Cooking Light issue came and was full of all sorts of delicious comfort foods for cooler weather and I just couldn’t get into it. We’re beach bound as soon as Piper gets up from her nap!
Normally, my freezer stashes contain muffins that are leftover from weekend baking. A few of these Health Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins would normally make their way to the freezer but instead, they were all gone before I had the chance to stash some away for later. My kids gobbled these up, requesting them every morning and at every snack time. With zucchini and whole wheat flour I was happy to oblige, even if they were mostly in it for the chocolate 😉
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1 ripe medium banana
- ¼ cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mist a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Grate the zucchini; squeeze excess moisture out using paper towels. Set zucchini aside.
- Mash the banana against the side of a large bowl using the backside of a fork. Add the honey, brown sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla extract; whisk until smooth. Add the eggs and continue whisking until well-combined.
- To the bowl, add the cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; mix to combine. Add flour and mix until just combined. Fold in the zucchini and all but a tablespoon or two of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them ¾ of the way. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes. Remove the muffins from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then carefully lift the muffins out of the pan and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
We’re eating a lot from the freezer this week, so it’s not the most interesting of Weekly Menus 🙂
Weekly Menu: September 16th – 20th
- Sunday: Whole wheat pasta with turkey meatballs and steamed broccoli
- Monday: Leftover tamales, Mexican Rice, guacamole
- Tuesday: leftover chili from the weekend
- Wednesday: Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry over brown rice
- Thursday: baked Dijon-walnut crusted salmon with baked sweet potato fries