It’s 6:30am on October 9th and I just turned on the air conditioning. On the 12th, the projected high is 48 degrees. I can’t keep up! Just as I’m warming up to the idea of fall, summer shows up for a cameo appearance. I’m really not complaining…just a little explanation as to why my weekly menus seem a bit disjointed.
Shea has continued to get more and more selective about the foods she chooses to try and eat. She’s officially 4 and full of opinions and questions. Currently, she asks, “what does it taste like?” before she’s willing to try new things. I guess it’s not the worst question she could ask, but day after day…ugh.
Then you have Piper who will eat nearly anything, especially meat, pasta, and bananas. She’s a really good meat-eater – turkey meatballs, chicken, and shrimp being some of her most recent favorites. If there’s anything she’s not as good about eating, it’s fruit (melon, watermelon, and strawberries to name a few). And unlike Shea, she’s not a fan of sun butter and jelly sandwiches in her lunch.
Until she transitions to the next classroom at her Montessori, she will happily continue eating a hot entrée for lunch each day. A hot entrée prepped and prepared by…mom. Her teachers always marvel at not only what she’s happy to put away, but also the volume. We have no idea where all the food goes. The only thing in her backpack each day is her lunch box (with milk and water) and she can hardly carry it on her own…it’s THAT heavy.
I know a lot of parents struggle to get their kiddos eating combination dishes or all-in-one meals like this Creamy Parmesan One Pot Chicken and Rice. Many kids want things separated out. I think that because it’s all my kids have ever known (I’ve always been a sucker for a one pot delight!), they’re totally on board for meals like this. The only thing missing is a vegetable, but that’s easily served on the side.
This easy peasy gem of a recipe with simple ingredients is a great meal when short on time. Ready in 30 minutes, it’s a creamy, cheesy, hearty, and comforting serving of foods we all love. Enjoy!
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup (2 oz) freshly grated Parmesan
- handful of parsley, minced
- Heat the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add the diced chicken, Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt. Stir; cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is golden on all sides. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth and rice to the pan; stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 18-20 minutes, until rice is cooked and tender. Stir in the half-and-half and Parmesan; serve hot and topped with parsley, if desired.