Hey mamas, Happy Mother’s Day! Especially to my mom and best friend, Jan. A loyal blog-reader and my #1 fan. I’m one lucky chick who’s only wishing we could be together today. But, we Housepartied on the app just a bit ago, each with a glass of red wine in hand. Be sure to tune in to the podcast that drops next Sunday for my mom’s podcast debut. She does a great job on the show!
I wish I could report a riveting Mother’s Day recap, but the weather was atrocious and there was nowhere to go and nothing to do. My wish was to lounge around in bed and read my book…but the girls had other plans in mind. They wanted me to open their “gifts” from school…which, were darling!
We then made baked donuts because #covid19tradition…but the icing was a disaster and never thickened up. The girls didn’t seem to mind, however. That said, they are not blog-worthy unless I overhaul the frosting. After a carb-only breakfast, I was HANGRY by lunchtime and I was jonesing for a gyro…have been for a while now!
I called around to see what local joints offered gyros and were open on Sunday for carry-out. I found one and the girls settled on Mickey Mouse pancakes. Mark picked up Little Caesars. Such a weird lunch, but it didn’t involve me in the kitchen, so…SOLD!
I read on the back porch, wrapped in a blanket. I attempted reading on the couch later but the girls wouldn’t allow it. I really have no idea where the day when and I did absolutely nothing other than sneak in a workout and shower. LAME. As I said on Friday, life without people and normalcy is starting to wear on me. But I’m sure I’m not the only mom who had an uneventful, yet blessed, Mother’s Day.
So, here’s one for YOU. Guess how much cooking this recipe involves? NONE. Yep. It’s glorious. This peanut sauce is finger lickin’ good and it’s a crowd-pleaser, for sure. Lots of crunch from cabbage and peanuts with tangy, creamy peanut sauce. This recipe will FOR SURE be on repeat!
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger or ginger paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- ⅓ cup roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups (9 oz) shredded rotisserie chicken
- 6 large tortillas
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut sauce ingredients.
- In another bowl, add the cabbage, peanuts, cilantro and chicken; toss to mix. Pour the sauce over the mixture and mix well to coat thoroughly.
- Heat up the tortillas for about 10-15 seconds in the microwave to make them easier to work with.
- Divide the chicken-slaw mixture between each tortilla, placing it on one half of the tortilla. Fold the sides in before tightly rolling the wrap away from you, seam side down. Cut in half before serving, securing with toothpicks, if needed.
Weekly Menu: May 10th – 15th
- Sunday: leftover Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas with guacamole
- Monday: crab cakes (from freezer) with mashed potatoes and salad
- Tuesday: Korean Beef Sloppy Joes with oven fries and asparagus
- Wednesday: One Pot Kielbasa Pasta with steamed broccoli
- Thursday: Beef tacos from the freezer with corn and rice OR grilled chicken with sides TBD
- Friday: Silver Beach Pizza carry-out