I feel a bit as though the freefall of 2020 is calming a bit. Yes, I just knocked on some wood after typing that and sending out into the interwebs.
I’m back in the office full-time. It feels good, even with a mask on. I’ve adjusted to wearing something other than black leggings, even if some days I can only muster up the effort for scrubs. Bras, however, remain the devil. D-E-V-I-L. I have no use for them.
I’ve done my hair AND make-up for 4 consecutive days now and that hasn’t happened in MONTHS. OH-EM-GEE – MONTHS. That’s just insanity. I got on a Teams call earlier this week and my co-worker goes, “Nicole, that hair! It looks fabulous!” Made my week!
I’ve been filling out paperwork for Shea’s public school enrollment because that’s supposedly happening in a few short months. Hold it together, Nicole…hold it together. She’s incredibly excited and if school doesn’t happen, I’m going to have one sad, cute little blonde on my hands! She counted to 1,000 by 10’s today. She’s asking how to spell words like “princesses” and “pineapple”, asking if she should use upper or lowercase letters. She MAKES HER BED! Such a little adult, that one!
I’ve been getting anxious to see our families – I told Mark that I was ready…and he talked me out of getting anything planned. We’ll wait out the stay at home order. I mean, we’ve made it this far! And as I’ve shared, we’ve made some great memories and traditions that will last long beyond covid-19 times.
First, movie night. This should have been a thing for a long time, especially with a projector in the basement. It’s now a thing and involves popcorn. We love our air popper! Sometimes it’s just difficult to explain that not EVERY night is movie night…as tempting as that can be!
New traditions also involve baked donuts. After many months without use, I dusted off those donut pans and we’ve been experimenting with many recipes. Always baked, almost always delicious. Perhaps most delicious of our efforts during quarantine? These Glazed Chocolate Donuts. I know they’re not all that attractive, especially compared to these…but MAN, they are GOOD!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 6 Tbsp whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mist donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla, egg, yogurt, milk, and oil.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Spoon the batter into the donut wells, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the tops spring back when you touch them. Allow the donuts to cool for 2-3 minutes before placing on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the glazed ingredients until smooth. Dunk the tops of the donuts in the glaze* and place on a wire rack to set, about 5 minutes.