I am certainly not going to know what hit me tomorrow morning when my alarm goes off. I haven’t set an alarm in nearly 2 weeks. This staycation, as expected, as flown by. I can’t say I did a whole lot, but my mother continues to reassure me that that’s probably for the best (plus, that whole pandemic thing). I do tend to go a million miles an hour in life, and the downshift has been really, really nice for a change.
Yes, the days have gotten a bit long with trying to keep 2 little girls occupied. But for the most part, they’ve done really well making their own fun. Sure, my house looks like a bomb went off, but it could be worse. I mean, we’re coming off this extended time at home with one really cool FORT. Toilet paper rolls and toilet paper included. These creative little minds…
During my time off, I successfully made my first Thanksgiving meal. Sure, I stuffed the NECK of the turkey (oops!) but no harm done. I also forgot the neck inside the turkey…but again, no harm done. And good for a laugh! I’ve cleaned my oven TWICE which is crazy considering the first time was a true first. Making up for lost time, I guess.
I’ve gotten in some decent workouts and 2 weeks later, my neck is showing signs of returning to a pain-free state. I might have snuck in a massage yesterday afternoon. It only seemed appropriate to have a massage to accompany the steroid and muscle relaxer duo I’ve been treating with. Thank goodness my PCP had that freed up appointment slot the day before Thanksgiving!
Ironically, the girls aren’t overly excited to get back into a routine. They are Team Jammies All Day. I think they’ve enjoyed the at-home time, bump in TV viewing, and extra snuggles. They’ve also really been into books which is great. They are both very engaged when being read to. Bookworms of mine!
So as this time off comes to an end (until Christmas, anyway), I’m returning to the daily grind rested and thankful, no doubt. I’ve planned an easy week of meals because lord knows I’ve spent a lot of time feeding a lot of meals over the past few weeks! If you’re feeling in a similar boat…or you’re just all about easy, be sure to check out this recipe. It’s all about the toppings, friends! Kid-tested and dietitian mom approved!
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
This quick and easy burrito bowl uses pantry staples and is an all-in-one meal the whole family will love. Tweak for everyone by offering a variety of toppings!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- In a 3-4 quart slow cooker, combine chicken, diced tomatoes, broth, chili powder, salt, and cumin; stir to combine and submerge chicken. Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in the beans, rice, and corn. Cover and continue cooking on LOW for 3-4 hours more. In the last hour of cooking, stir several times to ensure rice cooks evenly, adding a bit more broth, if needed. Rice may require an additional 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred between 2 forks; return to slow cooker and mix well.
- Serve hot with desired toppings.
My rice required about 30 extra minutes of cooking (4 1/2 hours during the second cook time)
Toppings: shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream/plain Greek yogurt, diced avocado, salsa, hot sauce, diced green onions, shredded lettuce, etc.
Recipe from The Kitchn
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 4.0gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 859mgCarbohydrates: 42.3gFiber: 6.5gSugar: 5.2gProtein: 30.2g
Need more super EASY meals in your life? Check out these recipes!
- One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice
- 20 Minute Minestrone
- Insanely Easy Instant Pot Taco Pasta
- 30 Minute Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Weekly Menu: November 29th – December 3rd
- Sunday: French toast and chicken sausage with fruit
- Monday: Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup with baguette
- Tuesday: Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches with brussels sprouts
- Wednesday: leftover chili made into chili mac with steamed broccoli
- Thursday: Pineapple Chicken with rice