We’re en route back from Florida, enjoying a layover in Chicago. It really is enjoyment, too. The United Club never disappoints. Thank you, business travel perks that have not yet expired. Travel is exhausting and the dread of playing catch up is REAL.
Thursday we had seamless travel to Manisota Key where we stayed with friends in an AirBnB. The weather was stunning and in the 70s and 80s. We did the pool, hot tub, beach, food, drinks, all the things. I thought nothing of real life until our 3rd and last night. Last night.
I’d come fully equipped with a charged Kindle. I barely read a thing. I brought my laptop thinking I would get a blog post up. Negative. I didn’t think about what we’re eating this week, place a grocery order, FaceTime much with my kids, check work email…I mean, I was in full-on vacation mode. Until 1am when I got up to go to the bathroom. For the first time. Sigh.
My brain clicked on decided to make up for lost time adulting. My rational brain was like “6 more hours of sleep, sweet!” but my mom-professional-podcaster-blogger adult brain turned on. I didn’t sleep at all the rest of the night and subsequently, I feel like I got hit by a truck, I still have no idea what we’re eating this week or if we have groceries to make lunches for the kids, my really short book that was two-thirds read is still not finished, and I spent the 20 minutes before boarding in Sarasota to finish as much of this post as I could.
But I hope to have it done before leaving Chicago. Where, by the way, it is currently -2 degrees Fahrenheit with a real feel of -13. Because I ALWAYS have to ride in the middle seat on planes when traveling with Mark (and also because the guy sitting on the other side of me was watching, ahem, inappropriate videos on his phone during the flight…you can’t make this stuff up), I got him to commit to going to get the car when we land in South Bend and picking me up at the door. I mean, it’s not like we brought jackets with us and I hear we got another 5 inches of snow – the car will definitely need to get cleaned off. Capital “B” BRRRRR.
It was an easy decision in figuring out what recipe to post with our return to the artic, however. This soup was recommended by my father-in-law and while I normally have a “No Creamed Soup” policy (it’s a consistency thing), I just so happened to have a can (that expired in 2018, but that didn’t kill us and is now gone!) and it really does add to this recipe. We were big fans of the perfectly tender potatoes with the creamy, rich soup. Just don’t skip the toppings – bacon and green onion definitely elevate the final product! Keep warm!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 7 medium-sized russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Place Instant Pot on high sauté mode. Add butter. Once melted, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and stir; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, potatoes, salt, and pepper; stir well. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Perform a quick release and remove lid.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the milk and flour in a small bowl. Pour into the soup, along with the shredded cheese; stir and allow to melt. Heat for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped bacon, green onions, and more cheese, if desired.
Recipe from Belle of the Kitchen
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: ~2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 16.6gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 970mgCarbohydrates: 46.9gFiber: 4.4gSugar: 5.9gProtein: 16.6g
Loving the Instant Pot? Try one of these favorite recipes!
- Insanely Easy Instant Pot Taco Pasta
- Mac and Cheese with Ham and Peas
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Ranch Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala