I made this recipe over 3 months ago. July 5th, to be exact. I haven’t shared it just yet because the photos are really unimpressive. I also took a total of about 20 photos which leaves me very few to choose from. I normally take about 75, plus or minus 25. I am still a total novice when it comes to my DSLR and ahem, these photos prove it.
That said, it’s now October 11th and it’s a stunning 72 degrees outside. We went to do fall things, like a family trip to the pumpkin patch, but we ended up at the park. I was stripping off my layers.
I made a back of pumpkin muffins, but nearly talked myself out of it for fear of heating up the house. I’m not complaining, at all. I live in Michigan, I know what’s inevitably heading my way.
However, when I sat down to blog, this recipe in queue but sidelined for its lack-luster photos is the only thing I felt worthy of posting. Who doesn’t love BBQ pork sandwiches? Other than vegetarians and vegans, obviously.
A little twist on these – a half and half with the trusty yet fatty pork shoulder/butt while “cut” with the lean and hearty pork tenderloin. Another change – a reduction in BBQ sauce. I love the stuff, don’t get my wrong. But too much can take away from both the texture and taste of the meat. Perhaps it’s personal preference only, but you can always add more when serving, so I opt to add less.
I hope you and yours had a fabulous weekend. I’m off to soak up what’s left of ours before it’s off to hockey and on to a busy week, as always! It doesn’t help that Shea has late start AND 2 half-days this week. #WorkingMomProbs I’ll for sure be pulling leftover pulled pork from the freezer for an easy meal this week 😉
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- 3 lbs pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 can (12 oz) Coke or cola
- 3 cups BBQ sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 12 hamburger buns, for serving
- Place all trimmed pork pieces into the Instant Pot; pour Coke over the top.
- Stir together 2 cups BBQ sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, and onion powder. Pour over pork.
- Secure lid and pressure cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Release the pressure and allow pressure to release.
- Use two forks to shred pork, discarding any visible fat, and transfer to a large bowl. Discard remaining liquid from the Instant Pot.
- Toss shredded meat with remaining 1 cup BBQ sauce and serve on buns.
Recipe adapted from Creme de la Crumb
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 15.7gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 724mgCarbohydrates: 39.1gFiber: 1.0gSugar: 14.8gProtein: 48.0g
Love pulled pork? Check out these!
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Bourbon-Peach Barbecue Sauce
- Slow Cooked Pineapple Pulled Pork Tacos
- Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Weekly Menu: October 11th – 15th
- Sunday: leftover tacos and guacamole
- Monday: minestrone with crusty bread
- Tuesday: Pumpkin Spice Waffles with chicken sausage and fruit
- Wednesday: pulled pork from the freezer with broccoli and potatoes
- Thursday: Slow Cooked Chicken Burrito Bowls