I learned a lot in college. Aside from nutrition, of course.
I learned I really enjoy people and that the bar scene was totally my jam, no alcohol required (seriously).
I learned that traveling women’s hockey teams have a LOT of fun and that ice rinks that put their locker rooms BELOW the ice are not only death traps — walking downstairs on blades often ends poorly — but they’re also REALLY hot.
I learned that I hate chemistry, but hate biochemistry even more. But since I was 1 credit hour shy of a minor, I bit the bullet.
I learned that if it was raining outside, I was inclined to skip class. The campus was huge, the buses were unreliable at best, and I HATE rain.
I learned that the best part of living in a sorority house was the fact that you had a house cook and dinner would be waiting for you no matter what time you got home from class or whatever it was you were out doing.
I learned that apartment living without a washer, dryer, or dishwasher was really no way to live and also that living in the “loft” of a 5-bedroom apartment during college is LOUD…and hot.
I learned how to survive on very little sleep which probably helped when the kids were young, but I seem to be making up for lost time. I love my sleep these days.
I also learned how to make the best guacamole because what’s more fun on a Saturday night in than a “Guac Off” with your college roommate? This recipe has been perfected over the years, dating back to college. My junior year, to be exact. I am often praised for my guacamole and Mark says it’s better than any restaurant around. While I’m biased, I tend to agree 😉
- 4 ripe avocadoes
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt*
- Cut each avocado in half; remove the pit and score the flesh using a paring knife.
- Scoop out the avocado chunks into a medium bowl. Use a fork to mash the avocado against the side of the bowl until few chunks remain.
- Stir in the onion, cilantro, and garlic salt. Serve shortly after preparing to prevent browning.
I really like Lawry's Garlic Salt (Coarse Ground with Parsley), especially in this recipe!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: ~1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 10.5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 6.1gFiber: 4.8gSugar: 0.4gProtein: 1.4g
LOVE guacamole? Saaaaame. Check out some guac-y goodness!
- Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa
- Avocado Cucumber Shrimp Appetizer
- Grilled California Avocado Chicken
- Crispy Beach Fish Tacos
- SoCal Guacamole Burger
Weekly Menu: May 2nd – 6th
- Sunday: scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, toast, fruit
- Monday: 15-Minute Spicy Peanut Butter Noodles with chicken and steamed broccoli
- Tuesday: Teriyaki Shrimp Sushi Bowl
- Wednesday: carry-out or dining out – Mexican!
- Thursday: Barbecue Pineapple Chicken