We called our friend who just moved to Florida and announced that if we’re not seeing weather resembling summer by Memorial Day, we’re going to need to plan a visit sooner rather than later. Mother’s Day has come and gone and our garden isn’t in yet. Hopefully this weekend.
We’ve also got a boat reserved for Memorial Day weekend, so we’re definitely hoping for warmer weather by then. Even if the lake will need another 2 months to warm up.
In addition to lake life, we’re quickly approaching fruit picking season. We always start with strawberries in June and quickly move to cherries, blueberries, peaches, and apples. Our guests now plan their visits around fruit seasons – and it’s not just one guest that does so, either!
I’m getting a move on our freezer stash – a few strawberries remain but everything else is tapped out (aside from pesto – we’ve still got quite a bit!). That said, there’s not much better than a freshly picked, sun-ripened berry.
This recipe is perfect for summer and word to the wise – plan this salad into your weekly menu by repurposing leftover baked or grilled chicken. Doing so turns this meal into a meal requiring no cooking that is ready in a matter of minutes!
Summer’s sweet strawberries coupled with creamy, tangy goat cheese and tender avocado compliment the crunch of almonds and fresh spinach, finished with sweet poppyseed dressing. The texture and flavor are endless in this show-stopper summer-ready salad!
Strawberry-Avocado Chicken and Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
This salad has it all - it's perfect for the warmer weather while offering loads of nutrition and big flavor with fun texture!
- 6 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 (4 oz) cooked chicken breasts, thinly sliced*
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- pinch of ground dry mustard (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Start by preparing the dressing by combining all ingredients in a small mason jar, covering, and shaking well, or whisking together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Place spinach in a large bowl; drizzle with about two-thirds of the dressing and toss well to distribute evenly.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients and drizzle with remaining dressing; gently toss and serve immediately.
Recipe slightly adapted from Gimme Some Oven
*Recommend baking/grilling the chicken ahead of time to make this a super quick meal with repurposed leftovers!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 36.3gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 541mgCarbohydrates: 20.0gFiber: 5.5gSugar: 12.3gProtein: 31.5g
Spring-summer salad go-to’s? Got those!
- Greek Cobb Salad
- Summer Salad with Strawberry Dressing
- Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette and Gorgonzola
- Cucumber Grape Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
- Panzanella (Italian Bread Salad)
- Summer Salad with Nectarines, Blueberries, and Chicken