TECHNICALLY, it’s Monday morning. Just after midnight to be exact. The weekend whizzed on by and Sunday especially, was gone in a flash. Sure, the entire afternoon was spent at the beach enjoying sunshine and relaxation, but it was worth it. There’s nothing more satisfying than scheduling your grocery order from the beach. Ahhh…that’s one COVID luxury I’m unlikely to give up any time soon.
We did arrive home just in time for me to come to terms with all the loose ends for the week ahead: lunches, laundry, dishes, bathing my kids, blogging, etc and to launch into overdrive. This always happens to me. Sundays kind of blow, let’s be honest.
Before church this morning, I tore myself away from snuggles on the couch with my girlfriends to get into the kitchen for some breakfast fun and productivity. First, was baked donuts. Funfetti donuts, to be exact. They were pretty phenomenal and I can’t remember the last time I make baked donuts. Stay tuned for those beauties.
Next, was making these energy bites. Except, they didn’t really work during my first attempt. In fact, the task was sidelined so that we weren’t late to church and I revisited the task immediately following lunch. What I learned was they needed coconut oil, or at least that was my work around to getting these things to actually roll into a ball and STAY in a ball.
My kids were hugely helpful in mixing the ingredients. As in, we made a huge mess. And for our efforts, I was sure to double the recipe. If you’re going through the effort, you most definitely want your goods to get you through the week ahead, or even better yet, leave some leftovers to throw into the freezer for the next Sunday you’re tardy to.
Mission accomplished and now my only concern is that my children will bound out of bed way too early because 1. it’s Monday morning after all (and obviously I’m not in bed yet) and 2. they want these Blueberry Lemon Energy bites. BADLY. They were fighting over them earlier today and my dietitian heart overjoys while the fatigue has me fearing the next 6 hours of my life. In other words, they’re well worth the make – enjoy!
- 1/4 cup honey*
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups creamy unsweetened almond butter
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 servings/scoops of collagen
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 cups dried blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the honey, coconut oil, almond butter, lemon zest, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until well-combined.
- Add in all remaining ingredients and mix until thoroughly mixed and consistency can be packed into a scoop or ball with gently pressure without crumbling.
- Roll into balls/bites, about 2 tablespoons each, and serve immediately or refrigerate for up to a week.
Recipe slightly adapted from Once Upon a Pumpkin
*use pure maple syrup to make vegan
Nutrition Information:Yield: 42 Serving Size: 1 bite
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 5.4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 13.5gFiber: 3.0gSugar: 7.0gProtein: 2.6g
Lemon + Blueberry is THE best combo. More recipes to PROOVE it!
- Meyer Lemon Blueberry Tart
- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- Blueberry-Lemon Baked Oatmeal
- Blueberry Lemon Glazed Donuts
- Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Compote
Weekly Menu: June 6th – 10th
- Sunday: chicken quesadillas with guacamole salad and leftover rice
- Monday: Crispy Rice Bowls
- Tuesday: working late – Mark in charge 🙂
- Wednesday: Loaded Wedge Salad with Grilled Salmon
- Thursday: family dinner date with friends