It’s my birthday today! I’m 36 today and honestly, I feel older. The ice and I had a collision last Sunday and I’m still recovering. But I had a personal best on the Peloton yesterday and a massage scheduled for last today, so I have absolutely zero complaints!
I am not one to live up my birthday through and through, but being the Friday before a holiday weekend, I figured it was a wise choice to extend to a 4-day weekend…and I’m not sad about it. While the high here today is only 70, the rest of the weekend looks hot and gorgeous — I have no doubt it will be a good one.
Piper was in my room just before 7am, looking adorable in a yellow tulle ballet dress – it’s a personal favorite from when Shea wore it several years ago. Don’t all moms have those few outfits that you just loooove? It shows off all the baby skin on the arms and back with the cutest little poof of girlish tulle on the skirt. I was happy to have her climb in bed with me…and Shea followed suit not long behind.
As I was trying to doze back to sleep with a girl on each side of me, nestled in the crook of my arm, I peeked my eyes open a few times to see Shea staring at me adoringly. She’s so intimate and giving of her heart and love, leaving no room for doubt, ever. It was such a great start to my birthday…and was shortly followed by Piper melting down, wanting to get breakfast (girlfriend gets HANGRY).
After a workout, I’ve got brunch with girlfriends lined up and a massage later this afternoon. I have no idea what the evening will bring, but I’m sure it will include something fun and delicious (I’m leaning towards grabbing pizza and heading to our favorite local brewery). But, at the very least, it will include these leftovers as a back-up plan which will bring me no disappointment. I mean…look at it?! Basil is the best herb, hands down. I swoon so hard for it.
This meal was a favorite for us all. The balsamic chicken inspo came from a friend and the pasta was a classic assemble. Nothing novel, all divine! I used pesto from the freezer and even a year later, it is the best! Enjoy!
- 6 (4 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 1 lb uncooked thick spaghetti
- 1 cup prepared pesto
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 oz small mozzarella balls, drained
- 20 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Place chicken and balsamic vinaigrette in a gallon-sized ziplock bag. Turn to coat and refrigerate overnight, or at least 8 hours.
- Heat a grill or griddle to 400 degrees F.
- Cook chicken 4-6 minutes per side or until cooked through; remove to a cutting board and allow to rest.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water over high heat. Once to a rolling boil, add pasta and cook 7-9 minutes or until al dente, stirring often.
- Drain pasta and toss with pesto in a large bowl. Mix in the tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh basil; toss well.
- Slice chicken against the grain and serve 4 ounces atop each of six
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups pasta with 4 ounces chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607Total Fat: 26.6gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 680mgCarbohydrates: 54.9gFiber: 4.6gSugar: 5.1gProtein: 39.7g
Love pesto? Caprese? Some of each for ya!
- Caprese Salmon Quiche
- Green Goddess Pesto-Squash Pizza
- Pesto Caprese Panini
- Basil Pesto with Pine Nuts, Sunflower Seeds, and Lemon
- Caprese Avocado Salad