I went to dinner with some girlfriends last night and it was just a WEIRD evening. We had an hour wait for a table, so we were fortunate to land 3 seats at the bar while we waited. It was perfect…until a woman sitting next to us decided to eavesdrop, tell us as much, and then completely take over the conversation in a monologue.
The woman did not take a hint and so 30 minutes or so later, we were beyond ready to remove ourselves from the situation and get to a table with a bit more privacy.
From dinner, we stopped by a brewery where we were joined at our picnic table by a ‘limo’ driver…for a bachelor party. Pleeeenty of other tables, but he joined ours. Before long, we had men from the party swarming our table and once again, our girl time was hijacked by others. I mean, we never even got to discuss Sex/Life on Netflix!!
Today, my hockey game was mid-day vs. late night and it kind of threw the whole day off. Though, not necessarily in a bad way. Getting home before 11pm AND still having the time to grab a beer after the game with a bunch of other players was fun. And all the more fun because one of my best buds was back from Florida and was able to sub in our game. Shenanigans galore!
It was nice to get home in time to make dinner and have a status quo evening with my girls. The only things that would make it better would be 1. if they liked watching the Olympics with me and 2. could agree on a meal they will both enjoy. Lately, tides have changed a bit and Shea is a more agreeable dinner guest than my little Piper – the one who, historically, has been my adventurous eater. This dinner being one of those meals.
This recipe was recommended by a friend and now that our garden is producing zucchini, I’m looking for alllll the recipes to enjoy them. We all enjoyed this recipe – huge win! The girls scooped up the content with tortilla chips and we were sure to have lots of fun toppings – avocado, radish, and more!
Ground Turkey Skillet with Zucchini, Corn, Black Beans, and Tomato
This fiber-packed meal is a perfect one pot delight that's sure to please just about anyone!
- 1 1/4 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 tsp cumin, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ears corn, cut from the cob
- 1 cup tomato, diced or halved (if small)
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and membrane removed, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 chopped cilantro, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat a large, deep, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and season with half the cumin. Cook for 5-6 minutes, breaking up into a crumble.
- Push the turkey to one side of the skillet and add the onion and tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the black beans, corn, tomato, jalapeño pepper, garlic, half the cilantro and stir with 1/4 cup water. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini; sprinkle salt and remaining 1 teaspoon cumin.
- Mix and cover; reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the zucchini is tender crisp.
- Serve with lime wedges and reserved cilantro.
Recipe ever so slightly adapted from Skinny Taste
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 9.8gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 772mgCarbohydrates: 36.2gFiber: 9.2gSugar: 7.8gProtein: 30.8g
Zucchini is IN! Eat it up!
- Zucchini and Pumpkin Muffins with Cranberries and Chocolate Chips
- Rigatoni with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Zucchini
- Cheesy BBQ Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Best Ever Zucchini Bread
- Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini Skillet
Weekly Menu: July 25th – 29th
- Sunday: Rigatoni with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Zucchini
- Monday: Smoothie bowls with scrambled eggs and toast
- Tuesday: Garlic Butter Noodles with Grilled Goat Cheese-Stuffed Zucchini
- Wednesday: out for dinner with friends
- Thursday: Spinach and Gruyere Breakfast Strata