People who know me know that I HATE grocery shopping. The pandemic was the perfect excuse to use grocery delivery service and I’ve probably been to the grocery store only a handful of times in the past 18 months. That said, my orders lately have basically all had an issue.
Late orders, early orders, items missing, crappy substitutions…it nearly defeats the purpose. First world problems, yes! But it has certainly lessened my interest in making dinner when I have to first make a trip for missing ingredients.
So, today we braved not just one grocery store, but 2….after shopping for goodie bag goodies and after visiting the party store for a piñata, candy, balloons, etc. Needless to say, it was a long afternoon. Our kids haven’t spent a ton of time running around on account of the pandemic and couple that with birthday party prep excitement and yeah…it was an afternoon, that’s for sure!
We have also been cramming summer fun in like crazy. Yesterday on the boat, the girls and I just laid around, being lulled to sleep by the waves. In 90+ degree heat. We were whipped and knew that today would be best spent
Their craziness could have also been fueled by sugar. I promised I would make baked donuts this weekend and yesterday morning, I got sucked into reading my book…so today was the day. And after the girls let me sleep until I naturally rose just after 7:30am, I was more than happy to oblige.
I am a lover of lemon poppyseed anything, but I was feeling up for a little coconut twist, as well. Like me, my girls love coconut and it certainly gave them a fun little textured topping and complimented the tangy lemon. Big fan of these, all of us!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 large egg
- zest from 2 lemons
Glaze & Topping:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp 2% milk
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 3 Tbsp sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mist 8 donut pan wells with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and poppyseeds.
- In a second bowl, melt the butter by microwaving for 20-30 seconds. Allow to cool slightly before slowly whisking in the milk and lemon juice, a little at a time. Add the extracts and eggs; whisk well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Spoon batter into donut wells, filling about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire baking rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and extract in a small bowl to make the glaze.
- Once donuts are completely cooled, dip donuts into the glaze and sprinkle with sweetened coconut flakes. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from The Comfort of Cooking
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 prepared donut
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 4.1gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 33.1gFiber: 0.6gSugar: 20.5gProtein: 2.9g
Love donuts? I’m so with you there!
- Funfetti Baked Donuts
- Vanilla Glazed Baked Donuts
- Red Velvet Donuts
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
- Double Chocolate Donuts
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts with Maple Cinnamon Glaze
Weekly Menu: August 29th – September 2nd
- Sunday: Honey Balsamic Chicken and Peppers
- Monday: One-Pan Buffalo Shrimp and Veggies
- Tuesday: leftovers / freezer meal – orientation for Piper’s new school!
- Wednesday: leftovers / freezer meal – elementary school ice cream social to meet Shea’s teacher!
- Thursday: tacos with guacamole