Gina and I podcast every week and sometimes it can be a challenge to come up with a mom win or favorite new recipe/product. Generally speaking, I’m that hanging-on-by-a-thread mom. The one that’s late, misses deadlines, and orders their kid’s leader day snacks at 8pm, paying a premium up-charge for delivery because oops, they forgot and have zero energy to head out to the store.
That was me. Tonight. Boom-Chick-A-Pop individual bags for the (expensive) win! Meanwhile, the cupcakes purchased yesterday (1 pack of gluten-free, nut-free for our food allergy friends and a bunch more for the general diet classmates) are heading to 1st grade in celebration of my Shea bug turning 7 tomorrow!
You win some, you lose some.
Mark and I have been INSANELY busy at work and for the first time in quite a while (March 2020, to be exact), Mark is in the office more than he’s home. My parental unit back-up is ending and today, our afterschool babysitter was sick. So…I left work at 4:01pm, ensuring I wasn’t late picking up the girls from the bus. Mission accomplished.
And I was on top of things enough to have brought along their school fundraiser forms so that we could hit up our neighbors on the way home. We went to 3 homes, got donations from all 3, AND the girls got tours of 2 of the homes. Who knew my adult neighbors had so many dolls? I joked that I saw more of my neighbors and their homes helping the girls with their fundraiser than I have cumulatively in all 10 years living in this home and on this block – with all of the same neighbors. That’s sad! But, we met our fundraising goal and I feel like they had fun in the process.
We returned home for a quick basement workout for me and tablet time for them (a rarity, especially on weeknights), followed by baths/showers and dinnertime…all while Mark worked late. I even prepped dinner for Thursday night because my birthday girl wants boxed mac and cheese for her birthday tomorrow. Thus far, the foodie gene has not blossomed in that one!
I’d have voted for something like this flatbread, personally – fun, fresh ingredients that are kid-friendly! Plus it’s ready fast – something all overly busy parents can appreciate!
- 2 large, store-bought flatbreads (~7 oz each)*
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb skinless rotisserie chicken, chopped or shredded
- 5 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- 2 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange each flatbread on a baking sheet, lined with parchment for easy clean-up, if desired.
- Drizzle each flatbread with 1 tablespoon olive oil and use a brush to coat the surface of the flatbread. Par-bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove flatbreads from oven and sprinkle each with 1 cup shredded cheese, 8 ounces rotisserie, half the bacon, and red bell pepper. Bake for 12-13 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is crisp at the corners.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the ranch, buttermilk, and chipotle chili powder in a small dish until well-combined; set aside.
- Remove baked flatbreads from the oven. Top with avocado and cilantro; drizzle with the chipotle ranch. Cut each flatbread into 6 pieces and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 slices (1/3 flatbread)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549Total Fat: 27.1gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 840mgCarbohydrates: 40.5gFiber: 5.3gSugar: 3.3gProtein: 38.1g
Flatbreads and Pizzas your thing? Check out more!
- Pesto, Sausage, and Kale Flatbread
- Green Goddess Pesto-Squash Pizza
- Tikka Masala Naan Pizzas
- 15-Minute BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Brussels Sprout and Walnut Pizza
Weekly Menu: October 3rd – 7th
- Sunday: traveling – pb&j!
- Monday: salads w/ gorgonzola and pear w/ fish sticks
- Tuesday: potstickers, cucumber slices, grapes
- Wednesday: mac and cheese with steamed broccoli for the birthday girl!
- Thursday: BBQ Chicken Street Corn Tacos