I don’t know what you’re up to this Sunday, but I am thoroughly enjoying the beautiful weather (60+ degrees and sunny!) and not a whole lot going on. Friday evening and Saturday were JAM-PACKED and for that reason, I can’t seem to fully shake the cold/crud I’ve had for nearly a week now. #worthit
That extra hour of sleep last night was lovely, though not necessarily needed. I do believe we turned in by 9:30pm which with the time change was 8:30pm. Oops. Contrast that with this evening when my 9:30pm hockey game will FEEL more like 10:30pm. Monday morning should be fun, right!?
Yesterday was a day of not one but TWO kids’ birthday parties for both girls. By the end of party #2, my extroversion had run out. I was so ready to be done with people. I just wanted to settle in for the Illini win and not talk to or be touched. I’m sure other parents can relate to getting to THAT point, but I was there.
I mean, the last party we were at was in a DARK (“Cosmic”) bowling alley with 4-6 year olds that were trying to put on bowling shoes…in the dark, bowl…in the dark, eat…in the dark, drink…in the dark, and open gifts…in the dark. It was a disaster. The hosting mom had ordered pizza and brought it in only to find out that outside food (beyond cake/cupcakes) was not allowed and then all the kids were hangry, the parents were bored and totally annoyed, and the whole thing ran over by an hour.
Friday night was way more fun – ax throwing and dinner out with my girlfriends. What did we talk about? How the guy instructing us on ax throwing was half our age, bifocals, exercise that’s easier on the joints, and Instant Pot recipes to try. I have a butter chicken recipe passed along that has very high marks from a trusted foodie – can’t wait to give it a go!
My offering to the ladies – this recipe. It’s always a hit and you might have guessed it, a repeat on the blog. I mean, you know if it’s making a reappearance, pictures and all, it is well worth making. Or if you didn’t know…now you do 😉 High, high marks given every time it comes around, and healthy, too! Enjoy!
BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowls
This SUPER simple, flavorful meal is nutritious and a sure crowd pleaser - kids included!
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (about 1 cup dry)
- 1 lb rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1½ cups corn
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup 2% Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 6 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
- Cook quinoa according to package directions; keep warm.
- Toss shredded chicken with BBQ sauce and top each serving of quinoa (about 1 cup) with 4 ounces of chicken. Top with ¼ avocado, ⅓ cup corn, red onion, 3 tablespoons cheese, scallions, and cilantro. Serve with a squeeze of lime juice over top.
Recipe slightly adapted from What's Gaby Cooking
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup quinoa, 4 oz chicken, as prepared
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 568Total Fat: 19.0gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 511mgCarbohydrates: 54.8gFiber: 9.8gSugar: 13gProtein: 46g
Quinoa is such a versatile, nutrient-packed protein source. Get creative with it!
- Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- Black Bean Quinoa and Veggie Burger
- Quinoa Mango Black Bean Salad with Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette
- Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake
- Peach, Burrata, and Arugula Quinoa Bowl with Chicken and Pesto Vinaigrette
- Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet
- Vegetarian Quinoa Fajita Bowls
Weekly Menu: November 7th – 11th
- Sunday: Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes with turkey sausage and fruit
- Monday: Sesame Teriyaki Chicken with brown rice and steamed broccoli
- Tuesday: whole wheat English muffin pizzas with Caesar salad
- Wednesday: grilled cheese and tomato soup
- Thursday: leftovers / Book Club