It’s hard to believe Memorial Day is NEXT weekend! Eeek! A long weekend and the kick-off to summer! Makes my little heart so incredibly happy, that’s for sure! But first, another busy week.
I started this post during Shea’s Taekwondo tournament. I try to have a good attitude, but a 2 HOUR “warm-up and intro” for the tournament is just too, too much. These are children and children have a finite attention span. And ahem, their parents have limited time and patience. After 4 hours, Mark and I traded posts and I returned home and he took over Taekwondo tournament duty.
Tomorrow is our anniversary. THIRTEEN years, whew! Kind of crazy when time goes by that quickly – it feels like just last year we were in Maui celebrating 10 years and Bora Bora this year, an early celebration for our 13th, seems like it was months and months ago. I told Mark today amid my Taekwondo frustration that I’d like to return to Bora Bora for a few weeks! 😉
A girl can dream, right? Tomorrow for our anniversary, however, I do have something planned. Mark and I are taking a private pasta-making class. In fact, we’re going to be making our whole anniversary dinner together, complete with salad and molten lava cake. I’m hungry for it already! I’ve never made homemade pasta and so I’m excited to finally take a stab at it!
That will be a fun start to the week before we get thrown into the chaos of work and sports galore. It’s a good thing I was able to sleep in BOTH mornings this weekend and add a recipe to my list for guest must-makes! Our summer will kick off next weekend with my family visiting and I know that my sausage and egg-loving loved ones will savory this recipe as much as me!
This recipe was actually recommended by my podcast co-host, Gina. And in full transparency, I tend to shy away from recipes that have to be prepped the day before. But in the case of guests? That’s a win-win right there! And I’m tellin’ ya…this is one you DON’T want to miss!
Not Your Mom's Egg Casserole
This savory, colorful brunch dish will be a big-time win! It's incredibly good and certainly not your mom's run-of-the-mill egg casserole, that's for sure!
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 6-7 cups cubed baguette (9.5 oz)
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- The day before serving, brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Break the sausage into a crumble as it cooks, cooing until no longer pink, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the kale and sitr; cook for 2-3 minutes or until bright green and softened. Transfer mixture to a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Add the bread and cheese to the casserole dish and mix well; set aside.
- In a medium bowl; whisk together the milk, eggs, salt, and pepper until well-combined. Pour the egg mixture over the top and gently press the bread into the eggs to saturate the bread.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Baking for 55-65 minutes or until edges are golden and eggs are set. Sprinkle with fresh thyme before serving.
Recipe slightly adapted from Girl vs Dough
Hosting brunch? Here’s some inspo!
- Spinach and Gruyere Breakfast Strata
- Sweet Potato and Apple Breakfast Bake
- Goat Cheese, Spinach, and Tomato Quiche
- Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Overnight Blueberry French Toast
- Crustless Quiche with Spinach, Onion, and Chorizo
- Tater Tot Breakfast Tart
Weekly Menu: May 22nd – 26th
- Sunday: leftovers
- Monday: private homemade pasta making class for our anniversary
- Tuesday: Thai Basil Chicken and Thai Basil Shrimp Fried Rice
- Wednesday: beef tacos with guacamole
- Thursday: Tofu Stir Fry