This week isn’t starting off so hot. I mean, it’s actually REALLY FREAKING HOT outside, but I’m a little burned out. And our sweet Harlie girl…she’s not doing well. Her eyesight is back to being greatly impaired and she just appears not to be loving life. I’ve set-up a little doggy hospice care routine of pain mediation wrapped in deli turkey to help keep her comfortable and not so anxious.
Her birthday is in 2 days, too. I didn’t think losing our girl or knowing when it was time would be so hard. Dog parenting can be a lot!
The girls sailed through day 1 of summer camp and seem to be loving it. Day 2 was already water day, and so of course we are pumped beyond words for that. I am thrilled about the meals they’re served – day 1 was spaghetti with beans instead of meat (huh, love it!) with broccoli, corn, and pineapple. And you know what? When everyone is eating the same thing, all is well in the world…and shocker, the food is well-received, enjoyed even!
P.S. The covid-related free school breakfast and lunch for all students will NOT be happening next school year. A blessing and a curse, but I was getting a bit ragey about the situation by the end of the year, so (for now) I’m looking forward to being a pb&j machine next year.
AND I’m thankful for not having the concern over breakfast #2 being offered to the girls each day. My breakfast grab-and-go quickie items will be put to the test and I’ll start quadrupling recipes so that my freezer is stocked with breakfast items that can be gobbled up on the couch as we’re doing our morning hair brushing routine and/or inhaled as we jet to the bus stop.
Again, I’m welcoming the challenge at this stage because as far as I can tell, everyone loves a cookie for breakfast and a start to the day that includes a vegetable? Bonus. These Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies were well-loved and simple to make and just as simple to scale up for larger batches (work smarter, not harder, I say!). Add them to your repertoire, these are delicious!
Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies
These cookies are full of good-for-you ingredients, are mildly sweet, and tender yet textured. Anytime I can eat a cookie for breakfast, I am ALL about it!
- 2 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry or white wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 small or 1 large apples, grated (about 1 1/4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together applesauce, honey, egg, and vanilla. Whisk in the melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the grated carrot and apple.
- Drop a 1/3 cup heap of batter onto the cookie sheets and flatten and shape into a 3/4-inch thick round (cookies will not spread).
- Bake cookies for 21-23 minutes or until edges are golden and cookies are set. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe ever so slightly adapted from Kristine's Kitchen
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 6.0gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 32.6gFiber: 4.6gSugar: 14gProtein: 4.1g
Want more cookies for breakfast? Who doesn’t!?
- Whole Wheat Apple-Oat Breakfast Cookies
- Oatmeal Almond Breakfast Cookies
- Vegan Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies
- Superfood Breakfast Cookies
- Blueberry, Cranberry, and Walnut Breakfast Cookies
- Banana Breakfast Cookies
Weekly Menu: June 12th – 16th
- Sunday: pizza leftovers and ice cream after the girls’ dance recital!
- Monday: California Club Sandwiches with raw veggies
- Tuesday: dinner at the pool with friends
- Wednesday: Strawberry and Avocado Chicken Salad with Crispy Fried Goat Cheese and Honey Lemon Dijon Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- Thursday: Honey Mustard Chicken Kebabs with rice and green beans