If today wasn’t ever a Monday. Holy moly. I talked non-stop from 8:30am to 5pm. When Mark called to tell me he was going to miss his flight to India, he sounded less stressed than me. Mr. Cool-Calm-Collected. Is there anything worse than city traffic when you’re late to catch a flight? An 18 hour flight, no less.
He seemed unfazed. I’d be unraveling. Swirling. Crying. We’re very different people, that’s for sure.
But we happen to have lots of qualities in common, too.
We’re fairly practical, at least in many ways. And most definitely creatures of habit.
We’re driven and self-motivated.
We’re hard-working and consistent.
We value a sleep hygiene and a healthy bedtime pattern/routine.
We place importance on variety in our dietary intake.
We were texting just a few minutes ago and he asked what we had for dinner. The answer: a pork tamale, pesto roasted potatoes, and 2 spring rolls with peanut dipping sauce. I like to call it “Around the World and What Must Go”. When I don’t have an agreeable mouth to feed, things get a little hodgepodge around here. Clearly.
But we always love a little shawarma and this sheet pan meal was a quick and easy take on a favorite without the fuss. The fun toppings add some fun flavor, texture, and color. And don’t forget the tangy yogurt cream sauce – mmm!!!!
Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma
Tender, juicy chicken that's packed with flavor and stunning yellow hues all made on a sheet pan and served with fun toppings and tangy yogurt sauce, all wrapped into a tender pita.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced into 2-inch long pieces
- 1 onion, halved and cut into thin crescents
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 6 whole wheat pita bread
- 3 dill pickle spears, chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, turmeric, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and onions and toss to coat.
- Transfer chicken and onions to the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the yogurt, lemon juice, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper (to taste), until well-combined.
- Warm the pitas in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate, 30 seconds.
- Serve chicken and onions in each pita and top with lettuce, tomato, pickles. and yogurt sauce.
Recipe from Food Network
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 prepared pita
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 9.3gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 34.3gFiber: 5.3gSugar: 5.0gProtein: 30.6g
Wanting more Indian recipes to try at home? Look no further!
- Easy Vegetable Biryani (vegan)
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Chana Masala
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Healthier Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Chicken Tikka Pizzas
- Easy Chana Aloo Curry with Shrimp