Has anyone else been sleeping like a ROCK? This weather is magic for sleep. Last weekend was a little rough when Mark and I were squeezed into a queen-sized bed (total TWP, I know!). And honestly, I feel like it was a small queen-sized bed…don’t ask. Mark or I would flip over and face the center of the bed and I’d feel like I was breathing my middle-of-the-night breath all over my husband. SEXY, I know.
I also did a phenomenal job of checking out of life and work during the day, but my brain would click on right before bed and I’d roll through all of the to-dos that I would surely forget by morning. By 2am, I’d be asleep…but the kids, they were up just a pinch of hours later. Ridiculous.
We blasted into the week with soccer and birthdays and an evening commitment every evening but Tuesday. Relaxing at home with a home-cooked meal and some snuggles on the couch? It’s life-giving, I tell you! Me, my girls, my Kindle. It’s basically my favorite time of the day and soccer season is robbing me of my enjoyment!
Two more weeks…I think I can, I think I can. Tonight, my car said it was 60 degrees outside and yet on the soccer fields, I’m FREEZING. Winter coat on and wishing I had a hat on. And we won’t turn on the heat because…well, because it’s still above 62 in the house. 😉
But man, I am jonesing for some comfort food and for the leftovers that home-cooked meals provide. My canned chicken noodle soup tonight was a far cry from this homemade delight!
Shea received a vegetarian cookbook for her birthday from her aunts (YES!) and while she immediately went for the breakfast recipes, I am hoping that there’s some gems in there that would be along the lines of this Creamy Veggies and Noodles recipe. It’s simple, it’s wholesome, it’s delicious, and it’s most certainly kid-friendly. I ran the recipe past my little “vegetarian” and she said she’s try it – the girls thoroughly enjoyed and Mark and I did, too!
Creamy Veggies and Noodles
Pure comfort food in this wholesome, yet light one-pot dish! The tender noodles and veggies make this kid-friendly and wholesome in one!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I like this “not-chicken” style broth)
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 12 oz egg noodles
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 oz) can green peas
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, celery, and carrots; cook for 8-10 minutes or until softened, stirring often.
- Add the garlic, thyme, paprika, and turmeric; stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth and milk, bring to a gently boil and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in the egg noodles and cook for 8-10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring often.
- Add the corn and peas; stir and cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from I Heart Vegetables
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: scant 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 7.3gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 805mgCarbohydrates: 65.5gFiber: 6.8gSugar: 17.2gProtein: 18.5g
Looking for comforting foods to welcome fall?
- Sausage and Tomato Risotto
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
- Zesty Italian Soup
- Chicken Soup with Turmeric and Ginger
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Creamy White Bean Lemon Pesto Orzo Soup