A new year! Happy 2014, all! I hope you all did something way more fun than I for NYE 😉 I define lame these days and NYE and I do not have a great track record. This year, I went in with zero expectations and I came out not at all disappointed. Imagine that!
This time of year is incredibly exciting. The dietitian in me loves the geared up energy focused around getting healthy and eating right. Whatever your reason for a healthy new years resolution, you’re in the right place. If you’re new, welcome! I hope you find something here you love. Speaking of newbies, be sure to get connected for motivation and healthy ideas galore. You can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter. Also, be sure to check out the recipe index where you can find nearly 1,500 recipes with nutrition information!
Last year was incredibly good to me.
I feel established in my role as Director of Nutrition Services at my little community hospital. My department was recognized as the most improved department and I was recognized as being a “star of excellence”. Woo!
I published my first cookbook and completed my second, a gluten-free cookbook being released in August of this year!
Mr. Prevention and I traveled to Los Cabos…twice. Glorious!
We are settled into our home in southwest Michigan and spent every sunny summer day on the beaches of Lake Michigan, soaking up the sun and playing in the waves. Lily, too (how cute is she?)!
I continued to blog here at Prevention RD, growing the best, most loyal readership who warm my heart and soul daily. Thank you!
Going into 2014, my goal is to get in the best shape possible. We are working on starting a family and if that is not the best motivation to be the best I can be (physically, mentally, emotionally – all of it!), I don’t know what is. Growing a healthy human requires being a healthy human and so my focus is on moving more (and sticking with my cardio sculpt class 2x/week!), eating more fruits and vegetables, reducing my caffeine intake, and setting aside time for reading — an activity I love, but have not made enough time for in recent years.
I wish you and yours a healthy and happy 2014 and hope that my corner of the web can offer up ideas, recipes, or the little push to make small, but impactful changes that lead you to where you want to be. Here’s a killer recipe to ring in 2014 right!
- 1 cup dry wild rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups (2 liters) low-sodium chicken stock
- ½ tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 small rotisserie chicken, skin removed and shredded (about 1½ lbs)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Cook wild rice according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add dried thyme and all-purpose flour; stir well to coat veggies in flour; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat and allow soup to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked wild rice and pour in half-and-half. Return soup to a simmer and cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot.
It’s such as tease to have one day off in the middle of the week! Baaah!