We had guests in town this weekend – regular blog-readers (thanks, guys!) – and the weather was looking to be absolute garbage the ENTIRE weekend. The Midwest is experiencing some massive rains and flooding without any sun in sight. Despite the weekend forecast was looking quite miserable, they decided to make the trip from DC anyway.
Friday night was just pizza delivery at home, so that was no biggie. Saturday was a dreary day, start to finish, with rains on and off throughout the day. We ended up having a really great brunch (thank you, call ahead seating because this place is always PACKED!) followed by some pool time where we were the few there because of the weather.
I left the pool with the girls to head to a birthday party just as the lifeguards were shutting the place down…due to weather. Mark and his friends headed out to a few breweries before we met back up at the house before an adult dinner out. We went to a place really close to our house that we rarely go…for what reason, I don’t know.
Since our boat day was rained out yesterday, we booked a boat for early this morning – our slot was 7:30-11:30am. We picked up some donuts and were on the water by 8:30am-ish…at which point it started to drizzle when we were at the furthest point from the dock…which is also when Piper announced that she needed to go to the bathroom. Sigh…
Shea told me she prayed to God that the sun would come out and sure enough, as we were about 10 minutes from the dock, the sun came out in full force and the forecast looked far more promising. We had a little impromptu trip to the pool for lunch and swimming before our guests had to get on the road. The last 4 hours of the trip nearly made up for the otherwise crappy weather!
And now, it’s laundry, blogging, meal prep, bathing my girlfriends, and general prep for the week ahead before a late hockey game tonight. I’ve got some time off work coming up and I’m pretty darn excited about it! Probably as excited as some readers will be about this “pie”. The blueberry version went “viral” last year when I made it and so I switched it up with the now in-season strawberries and it did not disappoint – so simple, so good!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups freshly sliced strawberries, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use the stick of butter to grease the bottoms and sides of a pie dish; set prepared pie dish aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl by microwaving on high for 40-45 seconds. Allow to cool slightly before whisking in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Gently mix in 2 cups of strawberries.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pie dish, using a spatula to spread to the edges and and smoothing out the top. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup strawberries over the surface of the pie, followed by the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until edges are slightly golden. Allow to cool before slicing and serving. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Recipe ever so slightly adapted from The Dizzy Cook
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 12.0gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 34.8gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 21.8gProtein: 3.1g
Make all the strawberry things while in season! Enjoy!
- Strawberry Pretzel Parfaits
- 3 Ingredient Strawberry Popsicles
- Strawberry Poppyseed Salad Dressing
- Easy Strawberry Chia Jam
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
Weekly Menu: June 27th – July 1st
- Sunday: Spicy Thai Chicken and Brown Rice Bowls
- Monday: Balsamic Chicken with Summer Pasta Salad
- Tuesday: leftovers/something quick – I have tennis
- Wednesday: dinner out with friends
- Thursday: No-Chop Cold Veggie Noodle Bowls With Soy Lime Vinaigrette