You know how when you’re stressed, tired, and panting out of breath…you can be easily ticked off? And at least one of your kids is in a terrible, no-good mood? Cherry on top. Tell me it’s not just me.
Last night, I hopped off the Peloton after getting home late from work, only to head straight into the kitchen to prep dinner. #momlife Quickly. I had to podcast at 6:30pm and it was a guest interview so being late was not an option! We were hungry. I was dripping in sweat. And Mark was nowhere to be found (aka not home from work yet).
As I helped Shea with assignments on her Chromebook and whipped up English muffin pizzas and canned green beans (oh yes!), Mark walked in. He promptly said, “I thought we were having Butter Chicken tonight.” DUDE. RUDE. NOT IN THE MOOD. Please come back another night (that was tonight and recipe coming soon – so good!).
As much as I love to cook, I know that’s a statement that has morphed into: I love to cook…when I have time. Bonus if my family doesn’t complain or dislike whatever it is I’m serving, however that second part seems to be a rarity these days. A definite win that chili continues to be a food we ALL enjoy.
When I see a recipe that says to simmer for 2 hours I immediately know it’s a perfect recipe for a fall or winter weekend day. We literally DID NOT leave the house last weekend. By Sunday evening, sure, I was crawling out of my skin a bit, ready to meltdown over the next “MOM!” yelled for my summoning. But, it was a great day for having comfort food simmering away on the stove.
What I think I love most about this recipe is the breakfast spin – so, so unique! I literally ate this chili for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sure, not in the same day and that’s what made it all the better. The chili reheated beautifully and all I had to do was pan-fry an egg and top with some diced avocado. Great flavor, texture, and presentation – show stopper, really! Enjoy!
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 lb raw chorizo, removed from casings (if applicable)
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- ½ cup beef bone broth
- 1 ½ Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp confectioner sugar*
- 10 large eggs
- 2 1/2 avocadoes, diced
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, fry the diced bacon until crisp. Remove cooked bacon from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 2. To the stockpot, cook the ground beef and chorizo, breaking up until a crumble until browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, onions, bell pepper, green chilies, beef broth, and half of the cooked bacon; stir to combine.
- Season with the chili powder, oregano, garlic, cumin, cayenne, paprika, salt, black pepper, and sugar.
- Stir until well-combined. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once at a simmer, reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, cook eggs until over-easy or over-medium, as preferred.
- Serve chili topped with egg, 1/4 diced avocado, and a bit of reserved bacon.
Recipe from Maria Emmerich, enhanced and submitted by Gillian C.
*recipe called for Swerve but I didn't have any, so I used standard powdered sugar
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 cup chili with 1 egg and 1/4 avocado
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 29.2gCholesterol: 252mgSodium: 1009mgCarbohydrates: 13.9gFiber: 4.4gSugar: 5.1gProtein: 29.8g
Looking for more GREAT chili? These have been some killer chili contest submissions of the past!
- 2020 Winner: Captain’s Chili
- 2015 Winner: Liz’s Chili
- 2019 Winner: Vegan Red Chili
- 2010 Winner: Turkey and Black Bean Chili
- 2016 Winner: Short Rib Boeuf Bourguignon Chili
- 2018 Winner: Beef, Chorizo, and Bean Taco Chili
- From 2021: Four Chile Chili