Thanks for all the love on my big job news. And yes, of course I’ll be sharing kitchen remodel before and after pictures. I’ll be spending my maternity leave perusing recipes for what I’ll want to make first in my new kitchen – pinch me!
But for now, my meal planning is winding down. It was weird to grocery shop today and think, “This could be my last trip before delivering…”. It’s all a waiting game now, and I fully expect to walk into work tomorrow and receive the, “You made it through the weekend!” comments. Heh!
Mark said to me last night as I switched positions on the couch/floor/balance ball every 1-2 minutes for the entire length of the movie The Departed (didn’t love it, by the way), “I think you’ve finally reached the point of being totally uncomfortable.”
Getting to and from the beach about killed me yesterday – Shea was able to climb the 70 steps up the bluff faster than me. Perhaps because she uses her arms and legs to climb them? 😉 And grocery shopping completely took it out of me today. It’s soooo hot out…and tomorrow is going to be hotter. Lovely.
I’ll try to keep my whining under wraps, though. Summer is quickly coming to an end and I’m not sure I’m okay with that. It FLEW by. Next weekend is Labor Day (no pun intended, but I am a ticking time bomb – T-9 days until my due date) and I hope that there’ll be plenty of grilling, warm weather, and relaxation for everyone.
So, while my weekly menu is pathetic and my cooking is winding down, I hope yours is revving up. I made these skewers twice this summer, for guests both times, and they were oh-so loved. There’s a little bit in these for everyone to love, especially if you love a little heat!
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 5 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tsp Sherry wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 lb large, raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 oz chicken andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch-long pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12-15 skewers (soaked in water for 1 hour if using wooden)
- In a bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together olive oil, garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, Sherry wine vinegar, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Thread shrimp, sausage pieces, cherry tomatoes, and onion on skewers. Arrange skewers on large rimmed baking sheet.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush skewers on both sides with glaze, coating well. Grill until shrimp are opaque in center,
- turning and brushing occasionally with more glaze, about 6 to 8 minutes. Serve hot.
- Sunday: spaghetti with meat sauce, salads
- Monday: BLT’s with baked sweet potato fries
- Tuesday: make-your-own pizza on whole wheat sandwich thins
- Wednesday: French Toast with chicken sausage
- Thursday: Tomato Bruschetta with Basil Ricotta (again…because it’s SO good!)
The sausage and grilled shrimp look great together. Do you eat it on the skewer or take it off to eat?
We made it last night and even the picky 14yo said she liked it (rarely happens!). I made a few modifications: 1 tsp ground thyme instead of fresh, omitted the red pepper flakes, used Applegate sweet italian chicken sausage instead of andouille and red onion instead of regular. I served it with brown rice and grilled corn.
Glad it was a hit with all!! 🙂