You know how many times I make a recipe more than once? Not all that much.
Three times? Only our faves.
4+ times? Pretty much unheard of in my kitchen.
Why? So many recipes to try, so little time! And, of course, I’m always looking to keep things alive and well on this here little blog. (Seriously!)
This recipe has been made FIVE times. Yes, because we love it. Yes, because I’ve failed to photograph it the first 4 times I made it. Oooops. That’s just the way dinner time goes in this house. And unlike a lot of food bloggers, I actually photograph what I post on the blog minutes before digging in. So sometimes, the whole cook, photograph, eat gig gets a bit chaotic (or just doesn’t happen…), especially now that we’ve got two littles, one of which is generally HANGRY come dinner time.
On the note of that little 2-year-old of mine…she LOOOVES this dish. No lie, she loves this meal so much she nearly CHOKED from eating so fast. She looooves it. For that reason alone, I knew I was wise to double-up on the green bell pepper that the original recipe called for.
Skillet meals are glorious in that they’ve got a balanced meal that comes together all in one skillet, but sometimes they’re a little light on the vegetable and heavier on meat and carb. I rectified that a bit and low and behold, it was still adored by my 2-year-old.
On the 5th attempt, I finally photographed this recipe…all for you. And sure, it may not be a looker of a recipe, but I do promise you will love it…and love how easy it is to make! Its fifth appearance in my kitchen will not be its last!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 14 oz smoked turkey sausage, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups Minute® Brown Rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sliced turkey sausage and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring often, until sausage is browned; remove to a plate and return skillet to heat.
- Add to the skillet the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and bell pepper. Cook vegetables for 5-6 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Season with black pepper and add garlic; cook 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the broth, stir well, and bring to a simmer. Add the rice and browned sausage to the skillet; mix well, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover the skillet with a lid. Allow to cook for 5-6 minutes; stir and serve hot.
Weekly Menu: November 6th – 10th
- Sunday: leftovers -I have a hockey game 🙂
- Monday: Teriyaki-Glazed Salmon Bowls
- Tuesday: grilled cheese with Roasted Tomato Soup
- Wednesday: Spinach Quiche with hash browns
- Thursday: Bruschetta Baked Shrimp