I tried convincing Mark that he should write this blog post. It has been a LONG time since he made a writing appearance on the blog and I know people would appreciate hearing from him. (Show him some love in the comments and maybe we can get him out of hiding!)
I wanted Mark to write because when I thought about what to write, I immediately thought of the weather. And let’s be honest – I’m always talking about the weather and it has to be getting old. My mood is directly correlated with how nice it is outside.
And today, it isn’t nice out. It’s not warm and worse, it’s raining. I hate rain. Grumble, grumble.
In June, I want summertime fun all the time, around the clock. We had a FULL day at the pool yesterday – little Piper was SO tired after swimming right through nap time. I failed to get her to fall asleep on the lounge chair, but she definitely took several opportunities to get mummied up in a towel and rocked as she sucked her thumb and snuggled with her lovie. It was no surprise that both of them fell asleep in the car on the ride home – it took all of 1.2 seconds for them to both be LIGHTS OUT. Swimming always drains my energy in all the best ways.
Before the babysitter arrived, I poured myself a glass of wine (duh) and began figuring out what I was going to serve the girls for dinner. I knew they were starving and Shea beat me to it – she requested leftovers of the “kind of spicy, kind of sweet noodles with the peanuts on top”. She didn’t even need to know the name of the recipe to describe it so accurately!
While Shea raved about the peanuts in the dish, I think the veggies were the star. The crisp carrots and thinly sliced zucchini made this vegan, dairy-free dinner an all-in-one option for a quick meal that reheats great. It’s also kid-tested and mother-approved (obviously). Enjoy!
- 16 oz linguine
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp hoisin
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ½ cup roasted, salted peanuts
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook noodles until al dente, approximately 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin, honey, chili garlic paste, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- In a large saute pan, heat sesame oil over medium heat and add sliced zucchini and cook for 2-3 minutes or until beginning to brown. Add the carrots and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. When noodles are done, drain and add immediately to pan, together with sauce, and stir until the noodles are well coated. Top with peanuts, cilantro, and green onion.
Weekly Menu: June 9th – 3th
- Sunday: Chicken Burrito Skillet
- Monday: scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, fruit, toast
- Tuesday: Sausage, Pepper, and Rice Skillet
- Wednesday: leftovers or out
- Thursday: Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Sriracha Sauce