The weather was looking atrocious this week, so I signed up to play tennis tonight. It’s a cardio tennis class and that it was! Plus the courts were approximately 901 degrees F. After class, when we opened the doors to get back into to the lobby, it was like entering an arctic blast. A very welcomed arctic blast!
As it ends up, this highly competitive and talented group of tennis players has some similarities to me. Those similarities include socializing and a cold beer following a super sweaty workout. I’ll never be an athlete ever again, but man do I enjoy sports as an adult followed by happy hour. It’s really my favorite thing ever…
…so much so that I took Friday, my birthday, off work…just so that I can play tennis in the morning…AND so much so that I attempted to put together an evening hockey scrimmage. The tennis is a go, but hockey will have to wait until people aren’t traveling or have holiday weekend plans. I thought about pulling the “Birthday Girl” card, but nah. Mostly because there’s always the beach or pool, and I’m nearly just as happy being there.
Adult sports, I’m telling you – the best. I love my Peloton but sweating with friends is so much more fun. I’d really like to become a regular at Tuesday Cardio Tennis except that it’s from 6-7:30pm which basically means I miss dinner (and my family time) AND my kids are fed whatever Mark throws together. Tonight I was told that that was leftover pizza, leftover fries, leftover mini corn dogs, and mini bell peppers. Sigh…
Needless to say, my kids aren’t super sad when I’m gone in the evenings and dinner arrangements are made by dad. That said, we’ve been on a kick here lately – lots of winners and few rejections by my kids. This recipe is the one that started a string of solid dinner meals that were both quick, easy, delicious, and nutritious. (P.S. the streak is still alive!).
I wasn’t so sure how much coconut-hating husband would enjoy this meal, but…he loved it. Coconut rice is basically FLAME and the creaminess tames the jerk seasoning on the spicy chicken perfectly. Paired with that super sweet mango salsa it was nothing short of D-R-E-A-M-Y! Big win!
Jerk Chicken with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice
This sweet-spicy combo has big, bold flavors of jerk chicken with the sweetness of mango and the creamy, yet fluffy coconut rice to go with. SO YUM.
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 (15 oz) can coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 5 (5 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 mangoes, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine all rice ingredients in a sauce pan over medium-high heat; stir well. Bring to a simmer before reducing heat to low, covering, and cooking for 15 minutes or according to package directions. Remove from heat and set aside, leaving covered.
- Meanwhile, season chicken on both sides with the jerk seasoning. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and cook 5-7 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through; remove to a cutting board and allow to rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- While chicken cooks, place diced mango, red onion, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Season with the salt and the lime juice; toss well.
- Serve hot rice topped with chicken and mango salsa.
Recipe slightly adapted from 40 Aprons
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 602Total Fat: 16.4gCholesterol: 250mgSodium: 596mgCarbohydrates: 84.4gFiber: 2.4gSugar: 21.8gProtein: 28.6g
Love Caribbean flavors? The jerk & Jamaican flavors are so flame. Enjoy!
- Jamaican Jerk Salmon with Mango Salsa
- Jerk Shrimp with Pineapple Rice
- Jamaican Jerk Chili
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Mango Salsa