Per usual, the long weekend FLEW by. My birthday was a gem – a great workout (spinning and yoga, who dis?!) followed by brunch that rolled right into a drink during a boat ride with friends and family before turning in for a massage, picking up a flower delivery from work, and having a relaxing evening of Jet’s pizza at the local brewery with family and a friend. It was perfection!
Yes, even the Jet’s pizza. I’m a total sucker for a good 8-corner pizza and their Greek salad is soooo good. Lame perfection!
The next 2 days were spent at the beach, the pool, and boating with family and friends. There was no shortage or sunshine or fun times. I got some reading in and finished Jessica Simpson’s memoir, Open Book – which I’d definitely recommend, even as someone who knew very little about Jessica, The Newlyweds, etc.
As we were returning the boat to the dock yesterday, we were invited to a fireworks display over the river. We hemmed and hawed and decided to try and nail down a babysitter – there is zero chance the girls could make it up until 10pm or after for the start of fireworks. I got lucky on my first attempt at finding someone and so the 4th seemed a bit more traditional. Perfect weather for it, no doubt!
Today, we had big intentions of carrying out more holiday weekend plans with the pool or the beach or something…
I haven’t even left the house. I’m still in my PJs (it’s 4:32pm for reference). My top knot from yesterday is still in complete disarray, piled on top of my head. It has been a day of laundry, relaxation, kid time, and LOTS of time in the kitchen. First cleaning it before I made a cherry crisp, a TON of pesto (okay, I did leave the house to cut it from the garden)…and diced up a giant watermelon.
What I didn’t make was anything for the week ahead like I should have done. I’m crossing my fingers for leftovers. If you’re anything like me, however, and love having grab-and-go options for the busy week ahead, this quinoa-kale salad is a perfect choice. It’s also perfect to take to summer cookouts or to serve as a meal with a protein of choice alongside. I’m a big, big fan of protein-rich quinoa salads that offer it all!
- 1 cup white quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups raw kale, deboned and chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 oz (1/2 cup) goat cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 3 Tbsp hummus
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine water and quinoa in a small sauce pan; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Stir and reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes before removing the lid and fluffing with a fork. Cool completely or make ahead and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, place kale in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Use your hands to gently massage the kale until bright green and tender.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the cooked and cooled quinoa to the kale; drizzle with about two-thirds of the dressing and toss to combine.
- To the bowl, add all remaining salad ingredients: strawberries, cucumber, red onion, basil, goat cheese, pecans, almonds, and dried cherries. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and gently toss to coat.
Recipe adapted from Fit Foodie Finds
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 14.9gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 25.3gFiber: 3.9gSugar: 8.1gProtein: 6.7g
Loving what’s in season? Check out some of my FAVORITE strawberry & basil recipes!
- Crustless Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry-Avocado Chicken and Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
- No Bake Strawberry Ice Box Cake
- Grilled Peach Salad with Basil, Mozzarella, and Prosciutto
- Strawberry Pretzel Parfaits
- Balsamic Chicken with Pesto Caprese Pasta
Weekly Menu: July 5th – 8th
- Monday: No-Chop Cold Veggie Noodle Bowls With Soy Lime Vinaigrette with pot stickers
- Tuesday: Pan Seared Scallops with Summer Corn Medley
- Wednesday: leftovers
- Thursday: beef tacos with corn and guacamole