We’re coming out of quarantine #3…in the past 28 days. Instagram is keeping close tabs. The number of comments to the tune of “weren’t you JUST in quarantine?!” or simply, “AGAIN?!” or “WHO NOW?!” Y’all, this shiz is bananas. We’re the slowest moving 4-some of dominos ever.
Only Piper remains. I am knocking on all the wood.
The girls haven’t left the house since Tuesday other than to play in the snow a whopping 2 times. Both times were gently forced upon them and ended in hot cocoa delights. How does a beverage end up all the places? I will never understand. It’s a marshmallow, not a doll. Stop playing with it!!!
All this to say, I’ve completely given up on trying to keep some semblance of tidiness. I struggle in this department to begin with and then you add endless days all together in the home, and it’s a literal nightmare. My dad would shriek if he were to walk into my home at this very moment. SHRIEK. GASP. He would question whether I was, in fact, raised in a domesticated home that we shared together for those 18 formative years.
It’s a hot mess and nothing short of…but there have been few tears and few timeouts. The days are such blur of reality for us all. The girl who remembers EVERYTHING (Shea), is yet to realize that she missed her first field trip AND her first classroom pizza party last Friday. As soon as she makes this connection, there WILL be tears.
And if FOMO isn’t bad enough, these kids are really wanting to get away from my cooking. They’re so ready for what they call “kid food”. I’m taking the time that quarantine brings about to, say, put forth extra effort in the kitchen and they are royally disappointed by use of time. They will RUN to the cafeteria come lunch tomorrow. I don’t know that it’s because I’m making foods they don’t actually like (blessed in that way with fairly good eaters)…but maybe?
It’s all about compromise, I tell them. One night we eat beef tacos in crunchy shells with canned corn (their pick) and another night we have something fun, unique, and way more tasty and healthful like these Taco-Stuffed Avocados. We’re going to have to agree to disagree on which taco rendition is superior because in my book, this taco version will win out every time. So. Much. Flavor!
Taco-Stuffed Avocados with Chipotle Sauce
If you love avocados, you'll love this take on a taco. This bold turkey taco with poblano with sweet and spicy chipotle sauce is the perfect balance to creamy, rich avocado in every bite.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 large avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/3 cup (1.5 oz) crumbled cotija cheese
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo*
- 2 Tbsp mango or peach jam
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- zest and juice from 1/2 orange
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the ground turkey and cook for 2-3 minutes, breaking up into a crumble as it cooks.
- Add the onion and poblano. Cook until turkey is cooked through, and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt. Add 1/2 cup water. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients in a blender or mini food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spoon the warm taco meat into each avocado. Top each taco with cheese and a drizzle of chipotle sauce.
Recipe slightly adapted from Half Baked Harvest
*remove seeds for milder heat
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 prepared taco (1/2 avocado)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 19.1gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 13.5gFiber: 5.9gSugar: 5.0gProtein: 13.0g
I’m obsessed with avocados. Here’s some favorite recipes that include them!
- The Best Guacamole
- Kale, Sweet Potato, and Avocado Salad
- Grilled California Avocado Chicken
- Avocado Cucumber Shrimp Appetizer
- Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa
- Avocado and Carnitas Tostadas
Weekly Menu: January 23th – 27th
- Sunday: beef tacos with corn and The Best Guacamole
- Monday: Shrimp Pad Thai
- Tuesday: One Pan Tandoori Chicken with Spiced Coconut Rice
- Wednesday: leftovers with Beet & Haloumi Caprese
- Thursday: Spinach Feta Filo Pie