This week started ROUGH. I should’ve known that was going to be the case when I entered my hockey game on Sunday with a lefty stick – grabbed the wrong one from the bench, I guess. Man, it threw me all out of sorts when I went to take a shot from the point with a stick made for someone with the opposite dominant hand. The awkwardness – my goalie thought I’d broken my stick as I looked down with the biggest look of “WTH?!”
Is Sunday the start of a week? Or Monday? In the case of this week, it didn’t much matter. Monday morning was filled with the working mom balancing act that seems nearly impossible when there seems to be NO SCHOOL EVER. Why not a 4 day weekend for Presidents Day? EYE ROLL.
My kids went to school today for the first time not wearing a mask. They’ve never NOT worn a mask at their elementary school and having been there twice today for Variety Show prep (never, ever let me commit to this effort again. EVER), it seems like I’m breaking every rule being there not in a mask. Team Healthcare is still in masks so my worlds are confusing right now.
In truth, the Variety Show is coming together swimmingly. As soon as I can figure out how to manage being in two places at once, it’ll be even better but I threw myself a much needed bone this weekend in that I picked stupid easy recipes for the week. I’m talking assemble and serve and slow cooker.
My slow cooker and I…we’re on a roll. And it started with these tacos.
I mean, sure, they’re nothing miraculous, but there is something about some tender, juicy shredded chicken that is seasoned generously and topped with some fresh ingredients that hits the spot. The effort-to-reward ratio is on point with this meal and it was a double thumbs up meal from my increasingly difficult to please littlest eaters, so that’s a big win!
Shredded Chicken Slow Cooker Tacos
Incredibly easy, flavorful, fork tender chicken that shreds into a versatile protein for tacos, burritos, nachos, salads, and more!
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups chunky salsa*
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker and top with remaining ingredients. Cover with the lid.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 7-9 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred between two forks.
- Strain the majority of the liquid from the slow cooker and discard; return shredded chicken to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Serve with desired toppings: tomato, cheese, and avocado recommended (not included in nutrition info).
*mild, medium, or hot, as preferred
Recipe adapted from Kathryn's Kitchen
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: ~6 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 5.4gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 740mgCarbohydrates: 10.6gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 4.1gProtein: 38.9g
Looking for more slow cooker inspo? Look no further! 🙂
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken
- Slow Cooker Italian Bolognese Sauce
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- Slow Cooker Summer Chili
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Quinoa
Weekly Menu: February 20th – 24th
- Sunday: Skillet Chicken and Mushroom Wine Sauce with mashed potatoes and asparagus
- Monday: Creamy Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Tuesday: BBQ Chicken Wraps with steamed broccoli
- Wednesday: Banana Oatmeal Blender Pancakes with chicken sausage and fruit
- Thursday: CostCo Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup with baguette