Sunday night I couldn’t sleep because all I was thinking about was what I needed to pack for Florida. This mama hasn’t been anywhere involving flying since November 2019. The same goes for most people, I’m sure, but I’m not exactly the most prepared traveler there ever was (SHOCKER, I know). You’d think I’d have done something about this worry come Monday, but nope.
Monday evening, I was sweating on the bike, texting Gina (my podcast co-host) who informed me that we were interviewing guests on the show at 6:30pm, not 7pm. It was after 5:30 already. I wasn’t done with my workout. I needed to 1. Finish and 2. Shower and most importantly, 3) feed the crew. It was a crunch.
Needless to say, no packing got done. I did, however, start a list. And this morning, I pulled out the suitcase and started throwing items to pack on the floor near to said suitcase. So far, 2 tennis skirts, 2 pairs of workout leggings, and 3 baseball hats. I just can’t forget swimsuits. My style of packing is anxiety-provoking, even for me.
But for me, I was feeling accomplished. Shea and I were out the door on time to get her to the bus stop, even allowing time to trek through the snow versus driving. We were on time and then, waiting…and waiting…and waiting. Meanwhile, I’m logged into a work call that is now 40 minutes in to the 1 ½ to 2 hour duration and Shea’s bus was 17 minutes late and counting…or not coming (?). We head back to the house, pile her in the car, and I start pulling out to drive her to school…when the bus pulls up.
My pandemic mantra started talking me down…it is what it is. Roll with it. Move on.
The day has improved since then, even allowing me to sneak in a pedicure on my lunch break. Glorious! I am officially feeling Florida-ready. And bless my mother-in-law for making that happen. My kids can’t wait to see her and Mark and I can’t wait to be in sunshine and warmth…without children.
If I can get my act together, I’ll try to whip up this recipe for my mother-in-law before we leave on Thursday (no promises, Susie). As a sweet potato lover, I know she’d enjoy this recipe…ESPECIALLY because it’s so, so, so easy to make. The sum of the parts here is…yep, it’s great. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet and savory, this healthy meal is simple yet full of flavor! Serve with plain Greek yogurt or avocado, in addition to cilantro and green onion!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp garlic power
- 1 cup enchilada sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Ball up 4 foot-long pieces of tin foil and place on one side of the slow cooker.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Prick the potatoes several times with the tines of a fork and individually wrap in tin foil. Place on top of the tin foil balls (to keep the bottoms of the potatoes from getting soggy).
- Place the chicken breast on the other side of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic powder and pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce over the top.
- Cover slow cooker with the lid and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- After slow cooking, set oven to broil and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Remove the potatoes from the foil and cut down the center. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred between two forks; transfer to a bowl and add the remaining 3/4 cup enchilada sauce. Mix well to coat.
- Use your thumb and index finger to gently press down on the ends of the potato to create an opening from the cut. Stuff with the chicken and top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Broil on a middle oven rack for about 2 minutes, watching carefully to avoid burning.
- Serve topped with the green onion and cilantro (plain Greek yogurt and avocado, as well, if desired!).
Recipe from Skinny Taste
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 prepared sweet potato
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 7.3gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 647mgCarbohydrates: 31.3gFiber: 4.8gSugar: 9.5gProtein: 27.5g
I have lots of slow cooker favorites. Here’s some more!
- Slow Cooker Summer Chili
- Healthier Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Easy Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- Slow Cooker Shrimp Boil