I love a fun Thursday evening that can really extend the weekend. Or the illusion of a long weekend. I should make it my goal this summer to try and make every weekend seem long by getting creative with Thursdays or Mondays…or maybe both! We’ll see. For now, things are a bit lean at the office and my patient schedule is busier than usual, so that time is off is TBD.
Realistically, I know summer just started this week. But in reality, the longest day of the year has already come and gone. Y’all that makes me so freaking sad to even type.
Last night, I did a mixology class and a lovely dinner with some of our closest local friends. We were unable to secure a ticket for Mark because originally, he was to be in India this week for work. So he was at home with our angels doing the dad gig and my friend was my beautiful date for the night!
As we were walking to our cars at 9pm, it was still daylight out. The sun was just starting to soften and these long summer days, man…there’s not much better. Being on EST here in Michigan has some major perks in terms of daylight, that’s for sure. It also means that fireworks don’t start until well after 10pm and for that reason, my kids have NEVER seen actual fireworks. Maybe this year will be the first.
The friends I mixed drinks with last evening were some of the ones I recently went on a mom’s weekend to Chicago with. Anyone with an opinion on food threw in their $0.02 and my vote was Hampton Social. After having their frosé last summer, I’ve been CRAVING it since. If you ever have the chance to go to Hampton Social, go and get the frosé. You’re so welcome.
We happened to be at the restaurant during the Kentucky Derby which was quite ideal timing with the country club chic vibes, but the food is what we also remember fondly. I expected good food, but what we got was great! And a kale-cilantro salad was one of the swoon-worthy items we devoured. I think I did a good job of recreating the Hampton Social kale-cilantro masterpiece!
- 1/2 lb finely chopped kale, ribs removed (about 6 cups, gently packed)
- 1 /2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 4 mini cukes or 1 cucumber, cut into half-moons
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, sliced in half on the diagonal
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup lightly salted sunflower seeds
Sesame Ginger Dressing:
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp honey*
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger or ginger paste
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 2 Tbsp water
- Place kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Use your hands to gently massage the kale to brighten and tenderize. Massage for 2-3 minutes or until desired texture is reached.
- Next, prepare your dressing by combining all ingredients in a mason jar with a fitted lid; shake vigorously for 10-20 seconds to blend. Alternatively, whisk together in a liquid measuring cup or small bowl.
- Pour about 1/4 cup dressing over the kale and toss to coat the kale.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the salad: cilantro, cabbage, cucumber, snap peas, carrots, bell peppers, edamame, avocado, and sunflower seeds.
- Pour remaining dressing over the top (or less, if desired); toss and serve!
Salad inspired by Hampton Social's menu offering; dressing from Spend with Pennies
*use maple syrup to make vegan
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 28.2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 468mgCarbohydrates: 25.5gFiber: 6.3gSugar: 13.3gProtein: 7.3g
Love kale? ME TOO! You may want to check out one of these kale recipes:
- Kale-Banana Toddler Muffins
- Kale Salad with Peanut Dijon Dressing
- Kale and Brussels Sprout Caesar Salad
- Kale, Sweet Potato, and Avocado Salad
- Kale Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing