We boated on Friday evening and it was in the upper 70’s, so it wasn’t hot-hot. Just a week prior, the lake was frigid, but man, Friday was perfection. We were all in the water and all L.O.V.I.N.G it. It was our first summer night out on Lake Michigan and it left me wanting more. Going into work this morning was torture…and I love my job!!
I walked out of work (late) and was opening my car door, only to have stupidly answered a call from a number I didn’t know…work. Standing in my black scrubs on the blacktop to finish the call (long) and then climb into my black, hot SUV in the 90 degree heat – wow-za!
I’m looking forward to Friday when Mark and I have a day date to soak up some time on the water, sans children. In the meantime, I’ll be reporting to the office and trying to sneak in walks and sunshine. Bringing a positive attitude about it, too 😉
This week is back to a sense of normalcy at home – cooking, everyone home. After last week and getting back into the kitchen, I’m firing on all cylinders. I was craving all of my leftovers from last week to enjoy at lunchtime. The highlights were a killer salad and this grilled masterpiece.
In terms of condiments, some people are BBQ fans or perhaps ranch. I’m a honey mustard gal. And like several other condiments in my life (mayo has to be Hellman’s and NEVER Miracle Whip, ranch has to be Hidden Valley), I’m a fan of Ken’s honey mustard. It’s creamy, it’s rich, its finger-licking good. The sauce that accompanies these kabobs is the caliber of Ken’s.
Tender chicken thighs and colorful veggies all basted in the honey mustard marinade and grilled to perfection. This meal screams summer, can be prepped ahead of time, and it seriously so darn good! I guarantee you’ll love it!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 lbs petite red potatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 1/2” chunks
- 2 zucchinis, cut into 1/3-inch thick half moons
Honey Mustard Marinade and Sauce:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, Dijon mustard, yellow mustard, orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and spices (parsley through cayenne pepper) until well-combined. Pour all but 1/4 cup marinade into a small bowl and cover; refrigerate.
- To the bowl with the reserved 1/4 cup marinade, whisk in olive oil until well-combined. Add the chicken and gently stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Add potatoes to a large microwave safe bowl and add 2 tablespoons water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 4-5 minutes or until just fork-tender. Uncover and allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Soak wooden skewers for 10 minutes or if using metal skewers, begin threading chicken, potatoes, zucchini, and onion onto the skewers. Use a brush to brush remaining marinade from the chicken onto the veggies to coat on both sides. Repeat with remaining chicken and veggies, utilizing the excess marinade from the chicken.
- Grill for 5-6 minutes before flipping and cooking an additional 5-6 minutes. Depending on the thickness of chicken, an additional 2-3 minutes may be needed to cook through.
- During grilling, whisk the yogurt and mayonnaise into the remaining marinade/sauce until well-combined.
- Remove skewers from the grill and serve with the prepared sauce.
Recipe from Real House Moms
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/6 recipe (about 2 skewers with sauce)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 13.2gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 786mgCarbohydrates: 43.8gFiber: 1.0gSugar: 18.7gProtein: 23.7g
Looking for more ideas for the grill?
- Grilled California Avocado Chicken
- Pesto Steak and Chicken Kebabs
- Spiced Salmon Kebabs
- Grilled Zucchini Goat Cheese Boats
- Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Turkey Burgers
- Grilled Vegetable Panzanella
Weekly Menu: June 19th – 23rd
- Sunday: potstickers and raw veggies
- Monday: beef tacos with avocado and corn
- Tuesday: Instant Pot Ribs with mashed potatoes and asparagus
- Wednesday: Crispy Baked Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
- Thursday: leftovers / out