The good news is that it finally feels like summer and that we have over a month left before school starts. The bad news is that the days are getting shorter and I know just how fast the next few weeks are going to pass by.
Yesterday, we did summer through and through with a day on Lake Michigan spent tubing. The girls were a bit tentative at first, but they were complete dare devils by the end. In fact, my little Piper preferred tubing to boating. She’s not a huge fan of the boat handling waves or turns, but loves blasting over the wake of the boat in a tube. I can’t begin to understand, but it’s true. They tubed for miles and miles and miles!
Between the music blasting, everyone in the water, and a lunch of fresh fruit, home garden cherry tomatoes, and “lunchables” of nuts and cheese, it felt like the perfect summer day. And let me tell you, my kids are in RARE form today – cranky, fussy, short-fused with one another. It is going to be an early-to-bed night for all of us.
…made possible by a 7:40pm hockey game (vs. my hubby’s team). That is, of course, assuming I can turn off the Olympics which is what has kept me up last the past few nights. Last night was MIDNIGHT. Who am I?? I’m a tired, cranky mom right alongside my kids, that’s who.
This weekend, we were visited by my bestie and her family (who are on central time and who I wanted to stay up watching the Olympics with!). Last night, Kristen and I whipped up a meal of must-go’s from both the freezer and the fridge, which included these Grilled Zucchini Goat Cheese Boats. Ironically, she was the one who suggested the recipe a few weeks ago and seeing as we have similar taste in food, I was more than game to try. Plus, our garden is mass producing zucchini right now!
Mark and I loooooved these – the girls less so (we learned that Piper despises goat cheese). But whatever, more for us! I think Mark said it best – if you love goat cheese and lemon, you’re sure to love these. If that doesn’t describe your palate preferences, perhaps take a pass and check out one of the other zucchini recipes below. I give it an A+, though! Mmmm!
Grilled Zucchini Goat Cheese Boats
Big-time goat cheese and lemon flavors in this veggie side or main. It's a perfectly light vegetarian meal or fun side to a grilled meal main!
- 4 medium zucchini squash
- 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 10 oz goat cheese, at room temperature
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, plus extra for topping
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 oz (1/4 cup) shredded Parmesan cheese, for topping
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Halve the zucchinis length-wise and use a spoon to scrape out the tender insides to create a hollowed center. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the zucchinis cut side down for 4-5 minutes. Remove from grill to a platter, cut side up.
- Meanwhile, prepare the breadcrumbs by heating the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot and bubbling, add the garlic and panko; stir well. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown; stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix the goat cheese, garlic, basil, lemon zest, and crushed red pepper in a small bowl until well-combined. Spoon into each of the hallowed out zucchini boats and return to grill, cut side up, for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve topped with the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and remaining basil.
Recipe from How Sweet Eats
Zucchini – it’s the season. Enjoy it!
- Ground Turkey Skillet with Zucchini, Corn, Black Beans, and Tomato
- Zucchini and Pumpkin Muffins with Cranberries and Chocolate Chips
- Rigatoni with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Zucchini
- Cheesy BBQ Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Best Ever Zucchini Bread
- Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini Skillet
Weekly Menu: August 1st – 5th
- Sunday: spaghetti with turkey meatballs and Caesar salad
- Monday: leftovers
- Tuesday: Mexican Street Corn Chicken
- Wednesday: Easy Tamale Pie
- Thursday: Zucchini Enchilada Casserole