It might have been coming off a 4 ½ day weekend…or being out of the office at an event most of yesterday…or our afterschool babysitter being sick this week…or any number of things, but I am tense with stress tonight. I feel like the next crappy thing to happen, I’m liable to snap. Is there any worse feeling?
We talked about mom guilt on last week’s podcast and let me tell you, I had major mom guilt when I got half way home before remembering that I forgot to pick-up Piper from daycare and THEN, once she was in the car, I just wanted peace and quiet. I didn’t realize how much the 10 minute drive home decompresses me.
I got home to a very animated Shea, a dog wanting to be pet, a dishwasher to unload, and the realization that I didn’t pull the salmon from the freezer. Dinner would be a no-go…even though I went to buy sake on my lunch “break” FOR THE RECIPE. You get the idea – it has been that kind of a week.
I need to pry my shoulders from my ears and just reeeeelax tonight. I’m very much so looking forward to a work-from-home day tomorrow and plan to make some big progress on some work projects that are going left untouched day…after day…after day. I’m tabling all of that for tomorrow, and channeling my inner Zen!
A high from the week was a new winning recipe creation that also happened to help thin out freezer reserves. Admittedly, I can’t cook rice or steak – they’re most definitely my Achilles heel. Heels, plural, because I dunno about you, but I have 2.
My little trick here was to ensure the steak was cut in slightly smaller cubes than the chicken and voila – the veggies were charred and tender, the chicken was juicy and perfectly cooked, and the steak wasn’t dry. As far as kebabs go, they were perfection…starting with that tangy pesto-vinegar marinade! Simple, quick, delish…and perfectly summer!
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 24 oz sirloin steaks, trimmed and cubed
- 24 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 bell peppers, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pesto and vinegar. Add the steak, chicken, bell pepper, and onion; toss well to coat and allow to marinade at least 10 minutes, up to overnight.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Thread the meat, peppers, and onions onto skewers, alternating between steak, chicken, and veggies.
- Preheat grill to 425 degrees F.
- Grill skewers for 4-5 minutes before turning and cooking an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove once veggies are charred and chicken is cooked through.
Cut the chicken into cubes slightly smaller than the beef to ensure the chicken is cooked through without over-cooking the steak
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1 kebab
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 7.8gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 3.8gFiber: 1.0gSugar: 1.2gProtein: 24.7g
Love pesto? In case you couldn’t tell…I’m obsessed!
- Balsamic Chicken with Pesto Caprese Pasta
- Green Goddess Pesto-Squash Pizza
- Pesto Caprese Panini
- Basil Pesto with Pine Nuts, Sunflower Seeds, and Lemon
- Pesto Chicken Tortellini
- Easy and Cheap(er) Basil Pesto
- 5 Ingredient Pesto Shrimp and Broccoli Fettuccine
- One Pot Spinach and Pesto Chicken Pasta