Mid-80s in Cancun…32 and considerable amounts of snow expected here in Michigan. We are under winter storm warning 4am Wednesday through 10am Thursday. I’ve got my pedi (lunchtime productivity!) and I’ve packed nothing. Just need the plane to get off the ground!
We’ve got a few movies downloaded. I’ve got my Kindle fully loaded. I’ve got one sad 6-year-old – she is already tearful over us leaving, poor girl. I told her we had to go scope out Cancun to make sure she’d have fun coming back for spring break next year 😉 Smart, eh?
There’s actually a bit of rain expected in Cancun and I’m not jazzed about it. However…there’s lots of shows to catch up on (Yellowstone! Below Deck! Virgin River! The Watcher! Married at First Sight!) and my Kindle is fully loaded and charged up. That all sounds lovely to me!
Life has been busy, real busy. I’ve also been busy in the kitchen, whipping up some delights! For lunch yesterday, I served Thanksgiving lunch – turkey and all the fixins – at the girls’ elementary school. I’m such a sucker for all things stuffing and mashed potato!
But, it’s not Thanksgiving just yet and the flavors we’ve had going on have been everything from gochujang and brown sugar to the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, turmeric, and ginger combination going on in this beef, rice, and cucumber delight. I could never, ever whip up something like this. THANK YOU, INTERNET!
I highly recommend serving this alongside some naan and hummus for a truly show-stopped meal. This combination truly has a little bit of something for everyone and the marriage of flavors simply….works! The colors – wow! You eat with your eyes and this dish certainly solidifies that fact! Enjoy!
Basmati Rice with Slow Cooker Beef Shawarma and Cucumber Salad
BAM! Look at that color explosion that is matched with its flavor and textures! This meal has it all with lots of rich, savory flavors. Enjoy!
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 4 mini cucumbers, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) crumbled feta
- Pat dry the beef using paper towel. Mix together the salt, coriander, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, turmeric, and black pepper until well-combined. Rub onto all sides of the roast.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once shimmering and hot, add the beef and cook for 2 minutes per side; transfer to a slow cooker.
- Pour in 1 cup of water and secure the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, prepare the rice by melting butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, and salt. Stir and cook until shallots are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the 4.5 cups water to the sauce pan and stir; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low, stir once more. Cover with a secure lid and simmer for 15-18 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes before fluffing and serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cucumber salad by mixing together the cucumber, tomato, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt; stir to combine. Fold in the feta and set aside to allow flavors to blend.
- Shred meat between two forks and serve with rice and cucumber salad.
Recipe ever so slightly adapted from Come Sit at the Table
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1/9 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 599Total Fat: 27.1gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 50.4gFiber: 0.9gSugar: 1.2gProtein: 34.9g
Love your crock pot? Let’s get busy!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Slow Cooker Italian Bolognese Sauce
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- Slow Cooker Summer Chili
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Quinoa
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken