You guys, I heard the most beautiful words yesterday: “By Friday afternoon, your kitchen should be 99% complete!” PINCH ME!! Yesterday marked 5 weeks since the project began (however, my cabinets and drawers were all void of food and kitchen everything for about a week before that because, you know, Piper came along 🙂 ) and that means, they’re not only on track for an on-time completion, but even a bit early (?!).
BRB, I need to knock on some wood.
But seriously, DOES THAT EVER HAPPEN?!
Today the quartz arrives. I cannot wait. CANNOT WAIT! I’m actually leaving the house for a few hours so I will (hopefully!) come home to a beautiful sight! That, and, contractors are loud, loud, loud.
The past 2 weeks, since the cabinets and island were installed, we have had plywood counters. And no electric outlets (that were functional) in the kitchen…nor a garbage disposal. HOW does one live without a garbage disposal? The crock pot on the floor of the living room I can deal with but I was forever digging food residue out of the drain to get it unclogged. BLECK. That’s almost as unappetizing as THE MOUSE LIVING IN MY GRILL.
You guys. This kitchen has to get done. A MOUSE in my GRILL. Shea thinks it’s amazing. I’m repulsed.
But anyway, the counter tops we’ve had for the past few weeks were not what I was expecting. I was expecting some warped, unfinished, splintered boards. We got some pretty well-fitted, finished plywood that they actually secured to the lower cabinetry. It made surviving this kitchen remodel a lot less painful, no doubt.
I’ve even had my little 2-year-old side-kick with me in the kitchen some. One night, I set her right on top of the temporary counter tops and we whipped together these Broccoli-Cheese Quinoa Egg Muffins. And…she loved them. We all loved them. Especially since the clean-up and mess of making them was so little. I even froze some to enjoy in the days to come and can’t wait to play with the ingredients to make different combinations. Ham and cheese? Swiss and leek? Oooo! Enjoy!
- 9 eggs
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup part-skim (2%) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1½ cups frozen broccoli, thawed and finely chopped
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Add cottage cheese, cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; whisk well. Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fill each muffin well with egg mixture until nearly full. Bake for 24-26 mins and then broil until golden brown crust appears. Remove from the oven and let cool about 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the sides of each muffin before using a rubber spatula to gently loosen the egg muffins from the tin. Serve warm.