It’s September 18, 2020 and until today, we’ve successfully not had an online learning experience for either of our children. We’ve been grateful for their ages of 3&5, now 4&5 (almost 6) amid the pandemic for this very reason. Parents who have been doing virtual learning this whole time, BLESS YOU. I now understand fully why alcohol sales in 2020 have gone up so much.
I am joking just a bit, but seriously, it was miserable. Kindergarten over Google Classroom? Bless these teachers! And parents/caregivers, we MUST learn how to use the mute button. I’ll be nursing my headache for the rest of the day. It was a painful 23 minutes!!
The cadence of online learning for us is TBD as we phase into full-time, in-person kindergarten. Yesterday was Shea’s first FULL day and she rode the bus for the first time. She literally ran to the bus, never looking back. I have done really well with milestones, but that one hit me hard. Raising an independent and confident child is a beautiful thing, but I do wish she needed me a bit more at times. She even uses coronavirus as an excuse not to kiss me! TEARS!!! Thankfully, she’s still 100% into cuddling. 😉
On top of all the emotions of this week, it has been a busy one at work. Weeks where I have interns are always busy and coming off of a long weekend of travel, it was especially busy with playing catch up. As I wasn’t racing home from work to workout (still nursing my twisted ankle), it left only meal prep after getting home. Admittedly, that was a nice change…but by Wednesday, I was craving a sweat session and pushed through it.
A few meal recommendations have come my way and I am always appreciative of others trying recipes first. In fact, I was SUPER excited to see Pinch of Yum posted on 10 of the internet’s best Instant Pot recipes. I mean…big time score!
Not shockingly, there was lots of proteins and pastas on the list. While I am still new to my Instant Pot, I’ve had a few winners and a few flops. One of the winners was this Chicken Marsala. Forever reminding me of wedding planning, this Italian classic is a personal favorite. I love mushrooms! The result in the Instant Pot was great – highly recommend!!
- 3 (8 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup marsala wine
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup half and half
- chopped fresh parsley, optional (to garnish)
- Using a large knife, slice each chicken breast in half width-wise to create two thinner breasts. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour and garlic powder; set aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to HIGH sauté setting. Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Dredge 3 chicken breasts in the flour, coating completely and shaking off any excess flour; add to the hot Instant Pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned before flipping and cooking an additional 2-3 minutes; remove to a platter. Repeat with the remaining butter, oil, and chicken; transfer the chicken to the platter.
- To the Instant Pot, add the mushrooms, shallot, and garlic; cook until the mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the marsala and chicken stock; mix well. Place the chicken on top of the mushrooms and secure the Instant Pot lid. Cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes.
- After cooking, perform a quick release. Transfer the chicken to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Switch the Instant Pot to HIGH sauté. Add the half and half to the Instant Pot, stir, and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken back to the pot and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley, if desired.
Recipe slightly adapted from Mommy's Home Cooking
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 13.3gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 705mgCarbohydrates: 11.3gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 1.8gProtein: 26.7g
Dig chicken? Check out these favorites!
- Easy Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
- Healthier Slow Cooked Butter Chicken
- Sesame Chicken
- Sweet Thai Basil Chicken