It’s a bit ironic that on this week’s podcast I talk all about blogging – the fact that I’ve been blogging for over 12 years with over 2,500 posts…and how I post 2-3 times a week. Religiously. Or religiously-ish. Yep, it’s been nearly a week and I’m sorrrry! I don’t even know what my excuse is other than summer!
My summer bronze is on-point, though presenting some serious tan lines. It’s that time of year that I want to take a left to head to the beach instead of a right to head to work. And in the evenings, it’s a pep talk about adulting and doing all the responsible things like exercising, making dinner, playing Candyland with my kids, and going to bed at a reasonable time.
But in all seriousness, the podcast on blogging (and podcasting) was a ton of fun and I’m humbled by all of my loyal readers! I don’t have the most beautiful photography or the most amazing site with all the whistles and bells, and I’m not even cool enough to make all original recipes. I’m all for making what’s out there THE BEST, though.
Or, sometimes, it’s just making a great concept actually work. Take for example, this recipe.
How does one cut corn off the cob and then put it into a grill basket with success? I’m not sure what your grill basket looks like, but mine has holes that are larger than a corn kernel and soooo…yeah…that wouldn’t work. I’m not sure how the original recipe managed that one. Big eyebrow raise.
So, I over-hauled the cooking method to be stove-top and tweaked the vinaigrette to take a bit of the tartness out. I’m a big fan of Dijon and a sweetener of some sort in my dressings. This recipe showcases summer’s primo produce with lots of color and health with the tangy vinaigrette and creamy goat cheese to pull it all together. Mmmm!
Zucchini and Corn Summer Salad with Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese
This salad is packed with summer's best flavors and colors! The tangy vinaigrette and creamy goat cheese pull all these flavors together perfectly!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into half-moons
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 ears corn, shucked and kernels cut off
- 1/2 tsp salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet over high heat. Once hot, add the zucchini and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, salt and pepper; sauté an additional 3-4 minutes or until zucchini is charred and tomatoes are tender but not bursting; remove from heat.
- While salad cools slightly, combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a small mason jar with lid or a small bowl; whisk or shake to combine.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the zucchini mixture and gently toss to coat. Add arugula and goat cheese; re-toss and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Diethood
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/6 recipe (about 1 1/2 cups)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 16.7gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 502mgCarbohydrates: 21.5gFiber: 3.3gSugar: 7.8gProtein: 7.3g
Weekly Menu: August 15th-19th
- Sunday: leftover tacos and quesadilla
- Monday: Easy Vegetable Biryani with naan
- Tuesday: Greek Style Grilled Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad
- Wednesday: Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken with spaghetti and steamed broccoli
- Thursday: pool or fair – TBD!
Garden zucchini and tomatoes abound? Serve them up!
- Rigatoni with Turkey Sausage, Tomato, and Zucchini
- Ground Turkey Skillet with Zucchini, Corn, Black Beans, and Tomato
- Grilled Goat Cheese-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Garlic Basil Barramundi Skillet with Tomato Butter Sauce
- Cheesy BBQ Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Tomato Basil Tortellini Salad
- Best Ever Zucchini Bread
- Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini Skillet