We did all the fall things today – apples, pumpkins, pumpkin carving. It was glorious! There was lots of family time this weekend and when it was time for me to leave for hockey tonight, Shea was visibly upset and kept asking if I could be home before bedtime.
BABY GIRL!!! Breaking a mama’s heart! It has probably been YEARS since she was last upset by my leaving. Years as in, like, maybe 5 years. I will give her extra lovin’ tomorrow as I work from home/take time off as the girls don’t have school tomorrow and we don’t have our afterschool babysitter until 11am.
It’s nice to have a Monday with a slightly less chaotic start. Even the weekend was less chaotic – my morning was spent planning our weekly menu and placing a grocery order…between chapters of my book. Priorities: yummy food and easy prep. As I said on Friday/Saturday, I went into the archives and I’m pulling out some oldies but goodies to resurface here on the ‘ol blog.
As I was going back, page by page, looking for all the best recipes of the past, I did run across street corn chicken tacos. Howeverrrrrrrrr, they were not BBQ and honestly, the BBQ is totally what makes this recipe. The BBQ sauce marinade tenderizes the chicken and helps it acquire those beautiful char marks from the grates that add all that flavor, texture, and color.
Next time, I won’t forget to add the Trader Joe’s Elote seasoning – doh, Nicole! That would’ve elevated the dish just a bit more, yet keeping it quick and easy for weeknight prep. I skipped the corn-on-the-cob because while it’s fabulous and flavorful, it’s in season about 3 weeks a year and most certainly adds to the labor involved. Also, cough cough, I’m a huge fan of canned corn. SO GOOD.
These simple, clean flavors offer big impact in that perfect finger food: the taco. Perhaps the world’s most perfect food (right up there with chili, yup!). You can put a new, unique twist on tacos time and time again and this version will NOT disappoint!
BBQ Chicken Street Corn Tacos
So much flavor in these sweet and savory tacos that are a big hit with the family!
- 3 (8 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the chicken and BBQ sauce in a dish and rotate the chicken until fully coated; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat grill to 450 degrees F.
- Place chicken on the heated grill and cook for 7-9 minutes per side, depending on thickness, basting with any remaining BBQ sauce from the marinating process. When chicken is cooked through, remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
- Meanwhile, combing the corn, mayonnaise, yogurt, chili powder, and lime juice in a bowl until well-combined.
- Heat tortillas over an open flame or by wrapping in moist paper towels in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Fill each tortilla with 2 ounces chicken, street corn, avocado, cojita, and cilantro. Serve hot.
Recipe slightly adapted from Broma Bakery
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 prepared taco
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 5.8gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 22.7gFiber: 2.8gSugar: 7.8gProtein: 13.6g
Love tacos?! Doh! Love allllll the tacos!
- Korean BBQ Tacos with Quick Kimchi
- Spicy Tilapia Fish Tacos with Sriracha Mayo
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Sriracha Mayo
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Crispy Beach Fish Tacos
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Tzatziki Fish Tacos
Weekly Menu: October 17th – 21st
- Sunday: Sticky Asian Meatballs with Udon Noodles
- Monday: BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowls
- Tuesday: leftovers for the crew / out for book club for me
- Wednesday: Bolognese-Stuffed Peppers
- Thursday: Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas