It has been a quiet weekend as we’re all nursing colds – Mark, Piper, and I anyway. Shea is holding out as healthy but most importantly, we’re COVID-free. Lots of nasal swabbing going on around here – fun stuff. But it makes being home and under the weather a lot easier when there’s nothing going on. We’re not on spring break unlike the rest of the school-aged world.
The girls were going a bit stir crazy this morning, but Mark and I just watched the first half of the Illini game pretty much uninterrupted. Knocking on all the wood that the second half is equally as peaceful. And that Illinois can start knocking down some shots and keep March Madness alive for us.
Type, type, type. It’s halftime.
Saturday has turned into the day we podcast and Sundays is always church, laundry, prep for the week ahead, and playing hockey in the evenings. Needless to say, the weekends go quickly and as much as I wish podcasting could go back to weeknights in some ways…man, weeknights get more chaotic all the time. This past week I felt like I saw my kids so little I was truly EAGER to see them at the bus stop come Friday afternoon.
And it’s not that I don’t enjoy podcasting because I most certainly do, but it can be a challenge to align Gina’s and my schedules. And there’s always prep for the shows – whether that’s working on show notes of in the case of some shows, making recipes to discuss on the pod.
We recently did a Vegan and Vegetarian Recipe Swap episode and it went over really well! We swapped some of our must-try vegan/veg recipes, made the others’ suggestions, and then chatted through what we loved about each on the show. The original version of this recipe was made in the Instant Pot but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how it’s any easier or much faster than on the stovetop, so I went with that method. I dolled it up with garlic, crushed red pepper, and a bit of Italian seasoning, too!
We love the texture of the lentils, the recipe is fool-proof in preparation, and Mark said he liked this Bolognese better than traditional marinara sauce. Big fans of this simple recipe, over zoodles or noodles!
Zucchini Noodles with Lentil Bolognese
This SUPER simple bolognese is vegan and big on flavor and texture! Serve over zoodles or noodles, as preferred!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (25 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup dry lentils
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 zucchini, spiralized*
- 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the marinara, lentils, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, and water; stir and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spiralize the zucchini. During the last 10 minutes of the bolognese cooking, heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the zucchini and season with salt and pepper; sauté for 5-7 minutes or until tender and warmed through.
- Serve hot bolognese atop 1/4 of the sautéed zoodles.
*swap in pasta, if preferred
Recipe adapted from Detox Insta
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 10.5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 842mgCarbohydrates: 27.8gFiber: 6.0gSugar: 11.5gProtein: 8.5g
Looking for more vegan recipes? Gotcha covered!
- Ginger Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Stew with Lentils and Kale
- Easy Vegan Vegetable Biryani
- Superfood Broccoli and Blueberry Salad
- Vegan Dark Chocolate Pudding
- Quinoa Mango Black Bean Salad with Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- Peanut Sauce Rice Noodles with Tofu and Veggies
Weekly Menu: March 19th – 24th
- Saturday: Pesto Chicken Pull-Apart Sliders with Caesar salad
- Sunday: leftover Butter Chicken, broccoli, rice, and naan
- Monday: Crispy Baked Chicken with Fried Egg and Arugula Salad
- Tuesday: Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice
- Wednesday: Spicy Peanut Butter Noodles with shrimp & bell peppers
- Thursday: leftovers / Book Club for ma