We just planned a long weekend trip to northern Michigan for this fall.
I’ve got school supplies to buy.
I’m planning my girls’ 8th and 6th birthday parties (!).
And every time I catch a sliver of the sun setting from our bedroom as I enter that room – that little tiny glimpse I can see from afar – I melt. I lust for the water, for the beach, for endless summer.
I love fall SO much, but after fall, winter tends to drag on and on and simply put, it seems another summer has nearly come and gone and I failed to take advantage. I can’t even remember the last time I was at the pool..and the pool closes in less than 3 weeks!
All that to say, I am looking forward to a long weekend. I’m off Thursday and Friday and I’m planning to enjoy a lovely 4 days without an alarm and time spent with the girls and soaking up some summer. And perhaps more importantly, a step away from work – work has been busy beyond measure.
In the next few weeks, the goal is to ENJOY and prepare…to gain some excitement around all that fall brings, because I mean, fall is pretty amazing. Three important things are so very fall: pumpkin everything, college football, and chili.
Sweet potatoes also remind me of fall, but arguably, they’re never out of season. This little combo of sweet and savory, all finished off with cheese and bacon is a classic combination that never disappoints!
Fall, I’m not letting you get me down because at the end of the day, I’m all about you. And summer. Both of you 😉
BBQ Chicken-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
Salty-sweet is a favorite combination always, and bacon just takes this one over the top!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 cups (~10 oz) rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded sheddar cheese
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Pierce the surface of each potato in 4-5 places using the tines of a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice each potato in half length-wise and scoop out a bit of the potato flesh and discard/repurpose. Arrange each potato half cut side up on the baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and BBQ sauce until well-combined. Scoop about 1/4 cup of shredded chicken into each sweet potato before sprinkling with cheese.
- Bake potatoes for 6-8 minutes, switching oven to broil in the last 30-60 seconds.
- Serve topped with bacon and green onion.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 half
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 4.5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 397mgCarbohydrates: 17.5gFiber: 2.0gSugar: 8.4gProtein: 9.9g
Enjoy a lovely, sweet spud? Get creative with them!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Fajitas
- Kale, Sweet Potato, & Avocado Salad
- Black Bean Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, and Chicken Sausage
- 3 Bean Sweet Potato Chili
- Mexican Chorizo, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Rice Skillet
- Ginger Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Stew with Lentils and Kale