I’m a Chicago girl and this is a Chicago staple: Italian beef with (hot) giardiniera. Some like their buns dripping with salty, rich broth and others prefer things on the dryer side. Some like a little something in between. The tender beef and flavorful giardiniera with its subtle crunch make for the perfect sandwich served on crusty bread.
Where do the weeks go?! We’ve had quite the social line up this week and I’m soooo looking forward to movie night and cuddling up with Remarkably Strange Creatures tonight. Loving that book. Also still loving Ted Lasso and seeking kid movie recommendations – send’em over, please!
We’re making our way to our local beef fest tomorrow afternoon. It’s a winter tradition to stand outside freezing while sampling our region’s best beers. As beer lovers, we are sure to never miss it! And all things considered, it will be a toasty 30 degrees that we truly can’t complain about. However, my Sorels will be making an appearance on my feet! Have a wonderful weekend!
ROLL CALL FOR THIS RECIPE
- Windy city beef lovers – you’ll love this one. Shredded versus sliced is really the only difference between this and what you’ll be served in this Chicago staple.
- Instant Pot recipes that are truly IDEAL for the Instant Pot can be far and few between. That said, this meal is perfect for the pressure cooker and the result is fabulous!
- Dump’n go! My kind of recipe. No searing of the meat, no layering, it’s truly a dump it all in and off you go for an hour plus. Easy peasy!
KEY INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Chuck Roast: Great to braise and the slow cooking, this cut of beef is ideal for a pressurized cooking process. With beautiful marbling, the connective tissue melts as the chuck braises and self-bastes the beef, making it tender enough to fall apart into mouth-watering goodness!
- Giardiniera: Some like it hot and some…a little less so. There is no complete beef without giardiniera, however. An Italian relish of sorts consisting of celery, carrot, cauliflower, and peppers that are first pickled and then marinated in olive oil, the flavor is unique and a must-have in a classic Italian beef.
- Cheese: Ahem. Cheese doesn’t belong on a beef (in my humble opinion), but a slice of provolone can be a bit more kid-friendly than giardiniera.
- Chuck roast is a lean cut of beef, offering up lots of protein, iron, and B6 with a relatively low amount of saturated fat.
- Draining the giardiniera reduces the calories substantially in this recipe. The flavor from the cooking juices is far more flavorful than the giardiniera oil/brine.
- Serve these sandwiches with a side salad or veggie or choice and you’ve got a perfectly balanced, filling meal – love it!
VARIATIONS & TIPS
- If you can’t find chuck roast, a top round or bottom round roast (rump roast) can be used. However, the chuck will produce the best results with its impressive marbling!
- There’s lots of giardiniera varieties out there – use the one you love most. A little goes a long way!
Instant Pot Italian Beef
A Chicago staple: Italian beef with (hot) giardiniera. Some like their buns dripping with salty, rich broth and others prefer things on the dryer side. Some like a little something in between. The tender beef and flavorful giardiniera with its subtle crunch make for the perfect sandwich served on crusty bread.
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into large chunks (3-5 inches)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 6 (6-inch) crusty hoagie or sandwich rolls
- 1 cup giardiniera, drained – hot or mild, as preferred
- Combine all beef ingredients in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes.
- Perform a natural pressure release for 10-20 minutes. Quick release pressure, if needed, to complete depressurization.
- Remove the beef to a cutting board and shred between two forks.
- Reserve the broth/liquid from the Instant Pot and dip inside of bread into the juice or drizzle with the reserved liquid, if preferred. Alternatively, serve the au jus on the side.
- Place shredded meat and giardiniera in each sandwich roll and serve hot.
Recipe ever so slightly adapted from Pinch of Yum
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 prepared sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 14.8gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 874mgCarbohydrates: 35.2gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 2.5gProtein: 51.0g
Wanting more Instant Pot meals that are quick, easy, and best in the IP? Voila!
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Insanely Easy Instant Pot Taco Pasta
- Mac and Cheese with Ham and Peas
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce