These fish tacos are simple yet bold and spicy! The spice mixture offers that blackened heat while being tamed with cabbage and cilantro slaw and a creamy, heat finish of Sriracha mayo. The hints of citrus throughout pull together all of the flavors in these most perfect tacos!
This week is a busy one in the evenings, but alas, work has calmed a bit. We’re looking forward to a sushi rolling class tomorrow night (my Christmas gift to Mark) and a belated holiday work event for Mark on Thursday. Mark’s event is at a restaurant I’ve been wanting to travel and our date night this past weekend was somewhere I’d never been to. Two new restaurants in one week? Unheard of for both me and southwest Michigan.
ROLL CALL FOR THESE TACOS
- Taco lovvvers, hello! I see you! I feel you! I am SO you. If I could eat just one food for the rest of my life, it may be tacos. Tender corn tortillas wrapped around flaky, boldly seasoned fish, and finished with slaw and a spicy mayonnaise? Heavenly.
- A little lost when it comes to fish? Don’t loooove that fishy-fish flavor but aim to include more fish in your life. This recipe – it’s perfect for you.
- Weeknight ready, this meal is a quick prep, cook, and assemble!
KEY INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Spices: This little spice combo offers heat and that blackened flavor that is the flavor foundation for these fish tacos. You can prepare the mixture ahead of time for a time savings or buy blackened seasoning.
- Cabbage: I love the crunch and color of cabbage but broccoli slaw, coleslaw mix, or even lettuce will do the trick here. For an extra fun pop of color, use purple cabbage or a combination of green and purple.
- Sriracha: A magically, versatile ingredient. And while it offers up some heat, it is tamed by creamy mayonnaise, a bit of sugar, and a squeeze of lime. A bit of salt helps pull together the flavors and create the POP that makes it especially delicious.
- Corn tortillas are not only more flavorful than flour, they are higher in fiber while being lower in sodium, carbohydrate, and fat.
- Cod is an incredibly lean protein source that offers omega 3 fatty acids. While not as plentiful in omega 3’s as some other fish, every little bit counts!
VARIATIONS & TIPS
- Fish: While cod was used in this recipe, any white fish will work great – tilapia, flounder, perch, Pollock, etc.
- To cut the heat in the blackened seasoning, reduce the cayenne or eliminate altogether. Same goes for the Sriracha, however I would recommend adding a bit more sugar to the mayo versus reducing the amount of Sriracha.
- Taco toppings: Avocado and radishes are a favorite for both color, texture, flavor, and nutrition, but there is no going wrong. Even a bit of cojita or queso fresco would be delicious!
- 1½ lbs thick-cut cod
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 (6-inch) tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- juice of ½ to 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- In a small bowl, combing the chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper. Rub the spice mixture on both sides of the fish and set aside.
- In a large skillet or cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil and butter until the butter is bubbly and hot, swirl the skillet to coat the bottom with the olive oil and butter. Add fish and cook 4-5 minutes per side or until fish is cooked through and charred.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the slaw in a medium bowl; set aside.
- To make the sriracha mayo, whisk together all of the ingredients in a small dish; set aside.
- To assemble the tacos, place 3 ounces of fish in each tortilla. Top with about ¼ cup slaw and 1 tablespoon srirach mayo. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Moms Need to Know
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 taco
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 7.3gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 537mgCarbohydrates: 18.9gFiber: 2.8gSugar: 4.5gProtein: 17.5g
Want more tacos in your life? YASSS!
- Slow Cooked Creamy Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Shredded Chicken Slow Cooker Tacos
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Sriracha Mayo
- Korean BBQ Tacos with Quick Kimchi
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Crispy Beach Fish Tacos
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Tzatziki Fish Tacos
Weekly Menu: January 22nd – 26th
- Sunday: leftovers
- Monday: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tuesday: Sushi Rolling Class
- Wednesday: Cashew Chicken
- Thursday: Belated holiday party for Mark’s work