Y’all, I’m on the struggle bus this week…and it’s only Tuesday. This spring has been a series of highs and fun followed by a slump of stressors and chaos. This week is mostly the latter.
Sick kids. Pediatrician appointments (at inopportune times, no doubt).
Calls from the Assistant Principal regarding unwise use of our feet on the bus. #eyeroll
A dog that’s officially blind. And deaf. Poor babe.
Kids up well before they should be.
Zoom presentation ongoing while trying to figure out who can get my kids off the bus because #emergencies
Mercy me. May, you win. Had I not rode 20 miles on the Peloton (while listening to the leadership meeting this morning), I would’ve lost my ever loving mind today.
For the first time ever, I’m counting down for school to be out and kiddo activities to wrap up. Mama needs a downshift.
MAMA NEEDS MORE TIME TO COOK!
I saw the warm weather coming because as it goes in Michigan, we go from one season to the next in the blink of an eye. Why enjoy the 60’s or 70’s when you can blast right from the 30’s to the 80’s? While I knew I would make these burgers on my electric grill, they can most certainly be made on any grill.
The thing of it is: you don’t want to skip out on the fajita veggies and man…my electric griddle did a knockout job on those. You see that char, right? 😉 Swoon. I was a little skeptical of all that Panko, but as it ends up, it’s the key to a poultry burger that isn’t downright…bad. Poultry can go from cooking to sawdust in no time, but there was no issue keeping these juicy and tender.
A must-make recipe, no doubt. Happy warmer weather…and Wednesday, be kind!
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 4 tsp fajita seasoning, divided*
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 4 slices cheddar or Colby jack cheese
- 4 brioche burger buns
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, Panko, hot sauce, and half the fajita seasoning. Use your hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients. Form into four 6-inch patties.
- Heat an electric grill/griddle to medium heat (375 degrees F). Once hot, add burgers and cook 10 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, toss peppers and onions with the olive oil and remaining fajita seasoning in a gallon-sized plastic bag.
- Add the peppers to the electric grill/griddle, or a separate pan, if needed. Arrange in a single layer and allow to cook until slightly charred before mixing. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender and gently charred.
- Add a slice of cheese on top of each burger in the final 1-2 minutes of cooking.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of guacamole over each bottom bun. Place the prepared chicken burger on the guacamole and heap with 1/4 of the peppers and onions. Serve hot.
*swap in taco seasoning if preferred
Recipe adapted from Buns in My Oven
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 burger
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 20.0gCholesterol: 164mgSodium: 724mgCarbohydrates: 49.0gFiber: 5.5gSugar: 6.5gProtein: 39.3g
Looking for more options on the grill? Here ya go!
- Grilled Zucchini Goat Cheese Boats
- Open-Faced Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Turkey Burgers
- Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken with Mango-Avocado Salsa
- Korean Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Peach Salad with Basil, Mozzarella, and Prosciutto
- Pesto Steak and Chicken Kebabs
- Grilled Summer Vegetable Chopped Salad