Yesterday was a busy Saturday – a workout followed by the beach followed by the hockey draft, followed by wine tasting and kid fun with several families at a friend’s house. As a beach, hockey, wine, and people-loving person, it was an ideal day in my book. I got to do all the things!
Mark, however, my introvert, was soooo cranky before bed. He couldn’t actually tell me what was wrong, but I know it’s because he was totally peopled out.
I woke up this morning knowing that I had to be understanding of what he wanted to do today. I’m not sure that I actually got an answer as to what that includes, but he took the kids to church while I stayed back to do laundry, accept grocery deliveries, and get this blog posted.
I don’t know that it’s because I have a lot to get done and want to play later or the fact that I was, in fact, craving alone time…but it feels really good. I really do crave alone time now and then. As I blog, I’m also listening to our latest podcast episode which is an interview with THE Elyse Resch. I mean, she’s HUGE in the nutrition world and we are so honored to have had her share her wisdom with us…and she talks a lot about craving what you don’t get enough of.
Last week, I didn’t cook. Not once. By Thursday, Mark commented on this fact and mentioned that he missed leftovers being in the fridge. And by mid-week, I was thinking the same. I missed having a prepared meal throughout the week, but the time I gained…that part was nice.
Just like Elyse shared, going into this week, I was craving cooking…but I want to keep it simple so that I continue to gain some evening time. And this recipe…it’s the perfect way to commit to simple yet healthy and delicious. It was beyond simple and loved the versatility. Big win all around with my crew! And should you not be ready to whip out the slow cooker just yet, be sure to bookmark this one for later!
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 4 (5 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Place diced tomatoes and tomato sauce in a slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together evaporated milk and corn starch until well-combined; add the garlic, salt, pepper, and dried basil; whisk again and pour into the slow cooker. Stir well to fully combine.
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker, nestling the chicken into the sauce.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours and serve topped with fresh basil.
Recipe from The Recipe Rebel
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 breast with sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 6.8gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 872mgCarbohydrates: 17.3gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 8.8gProtein: 32.3g
We’re slowly moving into comfort food and slow cooker season…get set!
- Slow Cooker Italian Bolognese Sauce
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- Slow Cooker Summer Chili
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Quinoa
Weekly Menu: September 12th – 16th
- Sunday: Tex Mex Lettuce Rollers
- Monday: California Chicken Flatbread Chipotle Ranch
- Tuesday: One Pan Buffalo Shrimp and Veggies
- Wednesday: leftovers/out
- Thursday: Gochujang Grilled Chicken Skewers with steamed broccoli and rice