I’m not sure what age is “middle age” but I feel like the vast majority of my friends are in that age group of “have kids, but life is no longer dictated by the kids’ nap schedule…but may be dictated by kids’ extracurricular activities”. I’m that age.
Last weekend, Shea started to lose it. She was cranky with her friend at the pool on the 4th and it was very clear to Mark and I: all good things must come to an end. The girls can handle 2 days of fun in the sun, but 3 consecutive days sent them past their breaking point. Monday was tears just because the threshold of fun had been exceeded and for that reason, my girls are YET to see fireworks. Ever. Like, real fireworks (firework displays don’t start until about 10:15/10:30 our time because of how far west we are in the EST time zone). We had every intention, until…meltdown.
Last night, they bathed and shampooed each other’s’ hair…except they went to bed still smelling like river (aka fish). We need a tutorial do-ever, I guess. Dinner on the boat was fruit, meat, cheese, crackers, and chips, having refused anything of substance. As in, summer is in full swing and each of them takes their turns sleeping in until well past their usual wake time of 7-ish AM. Piper got up around 9am this morning. 😉
I am also in summer mode. I head into work each day and my readiness to leave work is dictated by the weather. If it’s gorgeous out, I’m more-or-less cranky, wanting to be anywhere but indoors. I leave work and that sense of jail break (despite loving my job) is so real. Our short, amazing summers are such a blessing and a curse, I tell you!
Needless to say, dinners have been a challenge. Both girls are enrolled in taekwondo which is a 2 night/week commitment and I’m living life outdoors every chance I can get. Couple that with an insanely packed work life, evening workouts, and increasingly choosy eaters, and my kitchen time is both minimal and half-hearted.
I recently pitched the idea of “from scratch” and embraced the shortcut route of fish tacos. This dinner was ready in no time thanks to a few convenience items. I never thought I’d be that person, taking all the shortcuts. But, I’ve arrived! #noshame
Lazy Crunchy Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
Pulling out all the short-cuts for these weeknight tacos that are big on both flavor and convenience!
- 1 (19 oz) bag frozen crunchy breaded fish filets (10 filets)*
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup store-bought Chile Lime Crema**
- Preheat oven and bake fish according to package directions, about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the lime juice and zest, rice vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and sugar until well-combined. Add in the cabbage, carrots, red onion, and jalapeno; toss well and set aside.
- Warm tortillas on a microwave-safe plate for 20-30 seconds.
- Place 1 fish filet in each tortilla and top with slaw and crema. Serve immediately.
I'm not one to drop brands, but Gorton's* is a great fish option and the Chile Lime Crema I used was Sir Kensington's
Recipe adapted from Pure Wow
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 prepared taco
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 14.0gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 403mgCarbohydrates: 32.7gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 4.3gProtein: 8.6g
Want more tacos in your life? YASSS!
- Slow Cooked Creamy Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Shredded Chicken Slow Cooker Tacos
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Sriracha Mayo
- Korean BBQ Tacos with Quick Kimchi
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Crispy Beach Fish Tacos
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Tzatziki Fish Tacos
Weekly Menu: July 10th – 14th
- Sunday: Peanut Chicken Spring Roll Bowls
- Monday: burgers with beets and goat cheese
- Tuesday: Peach, Mozzarella, Basil-Balsamic Naan Pizzas
- Wednesday: Sesame Noodle Salad
- Thursday: out for dinner with guests
To make this even easier, I’d buy the coleslaw mix and use that!
For sure!!! #lazymeallove