I signed the girls up for soccer last night and of course, one is in U8 and one is in U10. In other words, we’ll be living at the soccer fields from September 12th through October 22nd. A fast and furious season, no doubt. The girls are excited and so I’m excited, but they weren’t kidding when they said things don’t slow down as kids get older…things only get busier.
I used to look forward to nights with plans. I now look forward to nights with no plans whatsoever. Plus, as an evening exerciser (nevermind a cook with a food blog), it creates a list of activities needing and wanting to get done and simply no way to check the boxes on them all.
Mark and I have also been going to bed later. *yawn* It starts with a late night on Sunday when we both play hockey and trickles into the week…and now into nearly every evening. It’s good and it’s bad – more time together and I’m getting some pages read, no doubt. But man, I much prefer a wake-up call from the sun streaming in my windows versus the harsh jolt from an alarm clock.
Things are just in transition, I guess. We don’t have little kids any more. We have kids who can be dropped off at soccer, who may not be devastated if we miss a quarter here or there, and kids who no longer eat shrimp. My pocketbook rejoices as my dietitian mom heart sinks.
Shrimp! Who doesn’t love shrimp!? Plenty of people, sure. But, like, really!? Who are you? So good.
And if you don’t love coconut, YOUR LOSS. My mother-in-law made THE BEST coconut cake for my birthday this year and I savored every last bite (thanks again, Susie!).
When I saw coconut, shrimp, and pineapple skewers I was all over it. Yes, yes, yes! Heck yes! So many things I love and all with a little one-two punch of crushed red pepper flakes and Sriracha. It’s the perfect combo of acidic sweetness from the pineapple, creaminess from the coconut, all with that little bit of heat…served up on a cute little kebab.
Leftovers, too…because kids, soccer, whatever. 🙂
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 lb large, raw, tail-on shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 20 (1-inch) chunks fresh pineapple (about 1/2 pineapple)
- Soak wooden skewers, if using, in cold water for 20-30 minutes or more.
- Puree together the coconut cream, pineapple, pineapple juice, crushed red pepper, Sriracha, garlic, lime zest and juice, sugar, and salt until few lumps remain; transfer to a small sauce pan and set over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until well-combined. Once the pineapple sauce is to a gentle simmer, add the cornstarch slurry and mix well. Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees F.
- Thread the shrimp and pineapple on the skewers, alternating ingredients.
- Pour half the sauce into a small dish and use a brush to brush about half of the sauce over the skewers on both sides. Grill the skewers on each side for 3-5 minutes or until pineapple begins to caramelize and shrimp are cooked through. Serve immediately with reserved sauce.
Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 3.3gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 538mgCarbohydrates: 25.3gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 18.3gProtein: 15.3g
Looking for more ideas for the grill?
- Grilled California Avocado Chicken
- Pesto Steak and Chicken Kebabs
- Spiced Salmon Kebabs
- Grilled Zucchini Goat Cheese Boats
- Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Turkey Burgers
- Grilled Vegetable Panzanella
- Honey Mustard Chicken Kebabs